Can auditing experience from big four be counted towards membership

I want to ask a question. I am engaged in auditing banks, private equity and other investment funds. can my work experience be counted towards membership…is there any chance…please guide me

no chance.

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > no chance. Not sure about that, take a look here… http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/charterholder/membership/work_descriptions.html

It should depends on how you word it. I know some ppl who got thier charter with that experience

I don’t see why not.

I had almost three years at Deloitte that was approved. Use key words and model your description after the example provided by CFAI.

will having the charter help you that much if you don’t have much “real” finance experience?

Re:BruinKJC “I had almost three years at Deloitte that was approved. Use key words and model your description after the example provided by CFAI.” Can you please guide me re key words as i have almost 5 years experience at PwC and 1 year experience at E&Y and currently i am working in FS sector…thanks in advance. To all others, Thanks and Please keep guiding me as i now can feel that i may have some chance to go for the charter. Regards, Naveed Iqbal

Further on page http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/charterholder/membership/work_descriptions.html Auditor: “I perform financial statement audits of investment companies and in the process test the custody and pricing of the portfolios. Used Bloomberg and learned the accounting of several security types, including equities, bonds, options, and futures.” I have performed functions more then asked for an auditor. acn any body guide me whether it will be enough for gaining a charter Thanks,

Auditor is in the list of “approved” professions at CFAI website. So I think it depends mostly on wording you use while describing.

BruinKJC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I had almost three years at Deloitte that was > approved. Use key words and model your > description after the example provided by CFAI. can you share a copy of what yu wrote?

yeah, i’d think it might be how you word it (although also somewhat surprised they don’t see through it). i heard of an actuary’s experience not counting… i think that’s ridiculous… edit… and when i say “surprised they don’t see through it”, i’m applying their standard… i definitely think auditing (or actuary) should count. i mean, if “pitch book grunt” qualifies.

I don’t remember exactly what I submitted. But it was very, very close to the CFAI example - I used that as a starting point and added more detail such as security types and client names (large commercial banks; it’s all public information who their auditors are anyway). At the risk of stating the obvious, only include audits for financial services firms. Most auditors are exposed to many differenty industries - manufacturing, retail, IT, etc. will not count! Don’t talk about Sarbanes-Oxley or internal control testing. That does not count. Do not talk about areas of the financial statement that have nothing to do with Investments. For example, do not talk about auditing Fixed Assets or Payroll. I doubt a 401k plan audit would count. Ultimately, get on a big financial services client that has investments on their balance sheet. Request that section to audit. Key words: Pricing, Testing, Accounting, Valuation, Bloomberg, Security types, Client types. Good luck!

1 Like