Can I say: passme, CFA candidate?

the reason why i ask is because the answer to BSAS morning session Ethics Quesion 3 indicates otherwise. I received a flyer from schweser and on in the letter they indicated: Jonathan Elias, CFA Candidate which seems pretty fine to me

Off the top of my head i would say no, as placing those letters after your name gives you some sort of accreditation even though u clearly state you are a candidate. CFAI state that you have to earn the right to place CFA after your name and charterholders wouldnt take too kindly to passme, CFA candidate - - so as a candidate you would need to use it more as a descriptive adjective i.e. CFA level II candidate

Reached out to the CFA Institute to self report me after there was an issue describing the CFA in LinkedIn. The response I got was to use “Level II Candidate in the CFA Program.” also, you need to drop it right after the exam. There is this weird dead space between taking the exam and receiving the results wherein you cannot refer to yourself as being a Candidate in the CFA Program.

Beanz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Off the top of my head i would say no, as placing > those letters after your name gives you some sort > of accreditation even though u clearly state you > are a candidate. CFAI state that you have to earn > the right to place CFA after your name and > charterholders wouldnt take too kindly to passme, > CFA candidate - - so as a candidate you would need > to use it more as a descriptive adjective i.e. CFA > level II candidate There’s no such thing as a CFA Level II. You either are or are not a CFA.

Not after your name. But I believe if you put somewhere in your CV: “CFA Level II candidate”, that’s fine. Agree that putting it after your name while without really earning it yet is inappropriate.

I think its ok. But I think it looks really lame. Just leave it somewhere in your CV saying “Level 2 Cfa Candidate.” You don’t get referenced as 33% Doctor Passme.

PS I also believe that you can refer to yourself as a candidate while exam results are still pending. Once results are out you either have to register or remove your mention of being a candidate.

Here is an except from the letter. I have removed any personal reference for privacy reasons. Just an FYI… An additional note: the “expected” component was hard-coded into LinkedIn so I couldn’t change it. Also, the Investments part was modeled from a current CFA Institute employee. Sadly, it was improperly used. I have reviewed your profile and ask you to make a few adjustments to your profile. “CFA Level II Candidate” should be changed to “Level II Candidate in the CFA Program”  Education “CFA Level II Candidate, Investments”  must be changed to “Level II Candidate in the CFA Program”–only while you are actively registered to sit for a particular exam can you call yourself a “candidate”.  Once you have sat for the exam in June, this will need to be changed. 2010 - 2011 (expected).

looks like pgiger needs to brush up on the responsibilities as a charterholder and candidate and reference to the cfa institute standard. tisk, tisk sir.

Thanks guys for the attention. When we get a question like this on the exam in 18 days, we ll all get it right.

I’m just trying to make sure I understand this correctly this is official right? While you are registered for the exam: CFA Level 2 candidate Moment you step out of the exam Level II candidate in the CFA program? That doesn’t make much sense.

That’s not what the posts said at all… I believe it mentioned to changes it to “CFA level II Candidate in the CFA program” rather than without mentioning “CFA program” After the exam, you can’t refer yourself as a candidate in general… It needs to be changed to pending exam results (or something along those lines I’m assuming)