Can I use ICONV worksheet when adjusting yields for periodicity?

Example: Adjusting yields for periodicity

An Atlas Corporation bond is quoted with a YTM of 4% on a semiannual bond basis. What yields should be used to compare it with a quarterly-pay bond and an annual-pay bond?

Answer:

The first thing to note is that 4% on a semiannual bond basis is an effective yield of 2% per 6-month period.

To compare this with the yield on an annual-pay bond, which is an effective annual yield, we need to calculate the effective annual yield on the semiannual coupon bond, which is 1.022 − 1 = 4.04%.

For the annual YTM on the quarterly-pay bond, we need to calculate the effective quarterly yield and multiply by four. The quarterly yield (yield per quarter) that is equivalent to a yield of 2% per six months is 1.021/2 − 1 = 0.995%. The quoted annual rate for the equivalent yield on a quarterly bond basis is 4 × 0.995 = 3.98%.

Note that we have shown that the effective annual yields are the same for:

An annual coupon bond with a yield of 4.04% on an annual basis (periodicity of one).
A semiannual coupon bond with a yield of 4.0% on a semiannual basis (periodicity of two).
A quarterly coupon bond with a yield of 3.98% on quarterly basis (periodicity of four).

Yup!!!

2nd ICONV
NOM 4 ENTER
C/Y 2 ENTER
EFF CPT 4.04 (use this as your “anchor”)
C/Y 4 ENTER
NOM CPT 3.980198

1 Like

I am following along. Please explain why you labeled the EFF 4.04 as an “anchor”. Also, how did you get 3.98… for NOM?

As always, great work and insight.

EFF is the rate that is compounded once per year, i.e. the effective annual rate. You can change C/Y to be any compounding frequency from 1, 2, 4, etc. all the way up to 525,600 to get NOM!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like