Can the CFA be a bridge?

For me, having been a professional trader for about 15 years the appeal of getting the charter is the credibility that doing what i did lacks…that is to say, i have managed money (my own, as a floor trader in Chi and NY) and want to continue to manage money but with a buy side firm where i currently reside as head of trading…i am too old to go for my MBA, and i can’t take 2 years away to go to full time top school anyway…CFA designation offers the convenience of self study and it provides a well respected credential for someone who wants to manage money. For someone just out of school, I concur with what has been said…Work you A$$ off, get good experience, and get your MBA from a top 5 school. And then go for your CFA for the knowledge you will derive.

in the future though try to avoid quoting CFA societies regarding how useful the charter I mean mcdonalds say they make the best burger, must be true.

Bleeck Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My guess is that many many many people who are > looking to ‘get into the industry’ and study 750+ > hours for three exams over a period of three years > are going to be very disappointed. > > Negative NPV for 95% of them. i agree. that is why the work experience is so key in the CFA process. i’m doing it as an MBA alternative since i don’t want to take off the two years. i think the CFA is looked upon very favorably on the buy side (where i currently work as a fixed income credit analyst)