CAN WE USE PENCIL FOR MORNING SESSION???

DOES ANYBODY KNOW FOR SURE THAT CAN WE USE PENCIL IN THE MORNING SESSION FOR LEVEL III EXAM ??? ANY REFERENCE TO CFA WEBSITE ON THIS TOPIC ?

y are u shouting? yes you can use pencil …numerous past candidates have used it and passed…

Yes, you can use pencil for the morning essay session. Several posters on this board used pencil last year and passed the exam. I chose to use erasable pen (the Pilot FriXion) and was very pleased with the quality. I wanted to use a pen but wanted to avoid making a huge mess on the exam book. I wouldn’t recommend writing your exam in all caps though. It’s probably just as annoying to graders as it is to other people reading discussion boards.

Im pretty sure that you have to use a crayon. Either red or blue.

I wouldn’t recommend writing your exam in all caps though. It’s probably just as annoying to graders as it is to other people reading discussion boards. haha

be bold use ur own excrement

Wow an erasable pen! I am going to purchase Pilot FriXion from Stables tonight and see if it works out. I stopped writing in pencil around 20 years ago, so yea - pen it is for me!

I wanted to try this route but I’m a little nervous about the fact that the ink erases when exposed to heat. How much heat does it take? I read a review on Amazon where someone reported that their hairdryer accidently erased a large chunk of notes. Copiers can get kind of hot, and it will be summer in Florida. I think I’ll just stick with a regular pen. PS The CFA website clearly states blue or black ink should be used in the morning session. Again, maybe paranoid, but if thats what they say then I’m sticking to it.

I’ll probably do the “microwave” test and see if its good enough.

Quill feather and ink only

standard convention is write using your own blood. this way they can test to see that its really yours and that you weren’t cheating

I don’t blame anyone about being concerned about the ink in an erasable pen “disappearing” in the heat. I had this exact same debate with myself a year ago. So I bought two different kinds of erasable pen and conducted all kinds of ridiculously unscientific testing to ease my fears. With the Frixion pen, I would write a long answer down and then rub it for a whole minute as hard as I could with another piece of paper just waiting to see it smear. Nothing happened, and I felt pretty confident. (CFA exams make you do some crazy things!). I wondered all summer if my exam answers had survived the long and hot voyage to Virginia…and lo and behold they did, I passed. Good luck to you all with whatever means with which you chose to write.

the only two types of pens that are allowed: Aurora Diamante Mystery Masterpiece Good luck.

it says the ink will be erased if the temperature goes beyond 114F or below 14F.

here is what last year’s candidates thought of the erasable pens… http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?13,993279,993569#msg-993569

Can we use mechanical pencil? Just wondering…