Canada - Career Advice

I’m currently working outside of Canada, but I am planning to move to the Toronto area in about 2 years (I’m waiting for my gf to finish her Masters in Spain). I have over 2 years experience as a Senior Financial Analyst for an energy company and I’m currently a CFA level 2 candidate. I hold two bachelors degrees-- Economics and Math-- from a decent American university (not top 20). My goal is to land an investment analyst or equity/fixed income analyst job at a good firm once I move to Canada. I’m aware that jobs like these are very tough to get in Toronto, so I am trying to decide what I can do now to improve my chances. a) Stay at my current job as a financial analyst for an energy company and have 4 - 5 years experience b) Get an MBA and then try to get an investment related job c) Change jobs to something closer to secutiries/company evaluation and gain the 2 years exp. Regardless, I plan to finish all three levels of the CFA exams. Thanks for your input

how about getting an MBA in Canada? that would really help you get in

Red Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m currently working outside of Canada, but I am > planning to move to the Toronto area in about 2 > years (I’m waiting for my gf to finish her Masters > in Spain). I have over 2 years experience as a > Senior Financial Analyst for an energy company and > I’m currently a CFA level 2 candidate. I hold two > bachelors degrees-- Economics and Math-- from a > decent American university (not top 20). > > My goal is to land an investment analyst or > equity/fixed income analyst job at a good firm > once I move to Canada. I’m aware that jobs like > these are very tough to get in Toronto, so I am > trying to decide what I can do now to improve my > chances. > > a) Stay at my current job as a financial analyst > for an energy company and have 4 - 5 years > experience > b) Get an MBA and then try to get an investment > related job > c) Change jobs to something closer to > secutiries/company evaluation and gain the 2 years > exp. > > Regardless, I plan to finish all three levels of > the CFA exams. > > Thanks for your input with you’re experience calgary would be a better fit for you, there are alot of energy, oil and gas related jobs there

Thanks for the comments!

Doing well in a top MBA program is usually the “easiest” way to break in…