Canadians - do you guys still accept US quarters?

Or do you have to top them up with the odd penny now?

LOL. This reminds of when I was a kid and the CAD was at like 0.70 or so, and there was a vending machine in a hotel we stayed at every summer in NH that would take CAD quarters. I used to take a bunch of quarters down and keep ejecting quarters until I got all of the USD quarters out of the machine and then would go cash them for a $5 bill or whatever LOL. It was rare that you could find a machine that would, I understood arb at a young age I guess LOL. To answer your question, yes, almost certiantly, espeically in machine. You could even do some arbs, albeit with way worse spreads. Believe me, the attitude here with people, and esp the media is that this is a delusion and that we’ll blink and the CAD will be 0.75 again. I’ve had quite a few people back in my small town who know I follow this stuff asking me if they should withdraw USD’s because the CAD would go down rapidly.

^ | i think that attitude varies alot nationally. i don’t know anyone out here (calgary) who thinks we’re gonna see the canadian dollar at 0.75 anytime soon. the call for parity started from some as far back as 2 years now, and i completely agree with it. the US dollar has been grossly overvalued for a long time now, and its good the world finally woke up to it. no one can keep up that kind of balance of trade for ever…

jeff, the attitude in Ontario and Quebec is much, much different. Here, the high dollar could plunge those 2 provinces in a recession. The heavy manufacturing sectors here are hurting.

jeff_s Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ > | > i think that attitude varies alot nationally. i > don’t know anyone out here (calgary) who thinks > we’re gonna see the canadian dollar at 0.75 > anytime soon. the call for parity started from > some as far back as 2 years now, and i completely > agree with it. the US dollar has been grossly > overvalued for a long time now, and its good the > world finally woke up to it. no one can keep up > that kind of balance of trade for ever… Oh so do I jeff, very much so. I wouldn’t be surpised to see a 1.25 loonie in 2-3 years at all. I’m just saying the perception on the street is that this wont last

everybody is buying US dollars these days. i mean, 1 out of every 4 trading calls has something to do with foreign exchange. and 1 out of the 3 calls about foreign exchange has someone who is bytching about the spreads and asking why they have to pay a spread. life of a discount broker i guess.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > everybody is buying US dollars these days. i mean, > 1 out of every 4 trading calls has something to do > with foreign exchange. and 1 out of the 3 calls > about foreign exchange has someone who is bytching > about the spreads and asking why they have to pay > a spread. life of a discount broker i guess. LOL Interesting stuff Frank. I think we’re gonna have a weakening loonie for a bit, especially with XMas and so many retail buyers of USDs from here whom want to shop in the US or taking winter holidays down south. Maybe in the big picture this wouldn’t be a big deal, but I think it will be. CAD is still strong long term I think.

^ I hated the fact that CND dollar went up so far. I had to exchange substantial amount of money from USD to CND for a down payment on my condo in Vancouver…:frowning: Exchanged at 92 cents last week and already this week its at 96 cents…god damn FX I think by the end of 2008 you will see the USD at 0.90 to 1 CND

so that’s what N.Van meant, North Vancouver. LOL

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > LOL. This reminds of when I was a kid and the CAD > was at like 0.70 or so, and there was a vending > machine in a hotel we stayed at every summer in NH > that would take CAD quarters. I used to take a > bunch of quarters down and keep ejecting quarters > until I got all of the USD quarters out of the > machine and then would go cash them for a $5 bill > or whatever LOL. It was rare that you could find a > machine that would, I understood arb at a young > age I guess LOL. CFA_halifax , thats one awesome arbitrage operation!!! don’t you think it violates standard IA or D though, lol !

viktorv Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFA_Halifax Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > LOL. This reminds of when I was a kid and the > CAD > > was at like 0.70 or so, and there was a vending > > machine in a hotel we stayed at every summer in > NH > > that would take CAD quarters. I used to take a > > bunch of quarters down and keep ejecting > quarters > > until I got all of the USD quarters out of the > > machine and then would go cash them for a $5 > bill > > or whatever LOL. It was rare that you could find > a > > machine that would, I understood arb at a young > > age I guess LOL. > > CFA_halifax , thats one awesome arbitrage > operation!!! > > don’t you think it violates standard IA or D > though, lol ! LOL I was like 12, but probably lol. CFAI standards would have had me call the vending company and tell them to come fix it and waste my entire vacation waiting for them

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jeff, the attitude in Ontario and Quebec is much, > much different. Here, the high dollar could > plunge those 2 provinces in a recession. The > heavy manufacturing sectors here are hurting. Of course, and that makes perfect sense that they would hope it falls. But wishin’ ain’t going to make it so! The same could be said of the attitudes out here…all of the oil producers are happy about the dollar rising, and so would naturally think that it will stay at or above parity.

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > so that’s what N.Van meant, North Vancouver. LOL Hali - tell me you’re joking buddy and you’ve never heard this before? Even if you’ve never been to our neck of the woods, I’m sure you’ve heard of these Van suburbs before, right?

zimzim78 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFA_Halifax Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > so that’s what N.Van meant, North Vancouver. > LOL > > > Hali - tell me you’re joking buddy and you’ve > never heard this before? Even if you’ve never > been to our neck of the woods, I’m sure you’ve > heard of these Van suburbs before, right? No LOL I know what North Vancouver is, geography is my bag. I just never knew what “N.Van candidate” meant.

jeff_s Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > former trader Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > jeff, the attitude in Ontario and Quebec is > much, > > much different. Here, the high dollar could > > plunge those 2 provinces in a recession. The > > heavy manufacturing sectors here are hurting. > > > Of course, and that makes perfect sense that they > would hope it falls. But wishin’ ain’t going to > make it so! > > The same could be said of the attitudes out > here…all of the oil producers are happy about > the dollar rising, and so would naturally think > that it will stay at or above parity. Why would they be happy about a rising CAD if oil and NG prices which are based in USD don’t rise in unison. If anything it only adds further to cost inflation on oilsands projects.

american company owns canadian oil assets (most the majors do). they get paid in canadian dollars here for the oil, and then get to convert back to more $USD.

Hi North Van, Are you going to the Vancouver CFA meet and greet? I just got an email for Dec. 5.

Storko, I am…Should be a good networking opportunity. Make sure you pre register…it filled up pretty fast last year, and I was too late. On another note: we were supposed to start studying…I guess we all got busy…drop me a line and we can maybe start this weekend.

I just emailed them my confirmation. Look for the best looking guy there, I’ll try stand next to him. I’ll be wearing the red rose.

i jsut scheduled my GMAT exam for the end of Jan, Looks like I will not start studying for CFA until Feb.