Capital IQ

Hello, Can anyone provide more information on Capital IQ’s pricing? Specifically, Per user annual rate? How much does this change depending on the number of users? Education or non-profit discounts? Difference in pricing between full access (website and Excel add-in) and just the website? thanks!

I looked into this for my group a little more than a year ago, and the pricing structure is as follows: 1st Seat: $36,000 (the first seat includes 4 users) Cost Per Additional User: $7,800 (I think at some point this drops again) Broker research and the private equity and venture capital data bases are additional fees.

Thanks artvandalay. Just to confirm, for those prices you quoted, did that include the Excel add-in? Or was it just for the website?

Yep that includes the excel add-in and unlimited support – They have staff that will help you build your models with the add-in feature if you’re not savvy.

If you play hardball you can get them to drop the price a bit, so if you decide Cap IQ is the vendor for you don’t just accept the price.

I get stuff from these guys all the time. . . do you like it relative to other services?

Why not try FactSet?

I use Reuters StockVal currently. . . I believe FactSet and CAP IQ may be better/more sophisticated.

I would say you should check out: Cap IQ FactSet ThomsonOne These are the best out there (some people like compustat as well). But it will really come down to your individual preferences and budget.

Are there substantial differences in the costs?

You can get a free 60 day trial of the excel version of Capital IQ if you contact a representative. It is fully working. They are pretty nice and will even give you training if in the NYC area at their HQ on Water Street (not a class, but 1:1 with the rep - about an hour session).

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are there substantial differences in the costs? First Seat: Capital IQ $36,000 Thomson One $12,000 FactSet $45,000 Incremental Users: Capital IQ $7,800 Thomson One $4,000 FactSet $6,000 Cap IQ first seat includes 4 users FactSet First seat includes 5 users

Pricing for almost any of these products will vary based on the data sets that are required by the user and the data sets that are included in the base fee. All of these products have their strengths and weaknesses and the user profile will make a significant difference with respect to which is the best product for that particular user.

sailor Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Pricing for almost any of these products will vary > based on the data sets that are required by the > user and the data sets that are included in the > base fee. > > All of these products have their strengths and > weaknesses and the user profile will make a > significant difference with respect to which is > the best product for that particular user. Indeed, there are a number of add-ons with each that you may or may not require and the cost can be significant.

I would like to kindly disagree with JustPass on Factset is better and more sophisticated than StockVal. I currently use StockVal and find its depth of data to be amazing and intuitive to use. Our firm also has a subscription to Factset but it is so cumbersome to find what you are looking for it hardly gets used. Using Factset and calling it sophisticated is like brining the farm pig into the living room, putting some lipstick on it, and watching NASCAR.

If you’re concerned about price you might want to check out Zacks Institutional’s new equity platform, ZRS 5.0. It is very similar to StockVal in a lot of respects and the cost is less. The draw-back is they don’t have any intl data (strictly US and ADRs) and the charting feature can be somewhat clunky. They will give you a free trial and free training (similar to the other guys)

You may also want to check out Baseline. I got a friend who claims it is the paramount equity analysis program. She also said she saw a demo of their upcoming upgrade and it will blow the competition out of the water.

I briefly used Thomson and Baseline, and have used Stockval and CIQ extensively. Baseline is not on the same level as the others. Thomson is again slightly different as you often get Thomson research with that. Stockval is best for a large or mid cap manager looking to do relative valuation. Its data sets for individual companies are quite good, although its universe of companies is limited as compared to CIQ. CIQ is more geared towards private equity, and it’s got a pretty large transaction database included. It also has limited amounts of fixed income/CDS data, and I find its interface to be easier to work with CIQ’s excel plug in blows StockVal’s out of the water, and is really the dealmaker for me. Stockval (at least when I stopped using) still required an application server, whereas CIQ is web-based. They told us a web SV was coming, but I never saw it. The application sever made SV very fast, but the ability to use CIQ on the road (and on your BB!) outweigh that, IMO. Bottom line, the CIQ sales girl was a lot hotter than the SV sales guy.

I have used StockVal, Thomson, FactSet and Capital IQ. It really depends what line of work you’re in. I thought StockVal and FactSet were both pretty good for equity analysis, Thomson One was what I used to pull equity research reports, and Capital IQ was the best for transaction related stuff. For my job in PE, I use Capital IQ most of the time, and occasionally Thomson One Analytics when I need to look at equity research reports.

Ah yes this thread would not be complete… I use AAII’s Stock Investor Pro database for $200ish/year. It is 734x better than all that stuff mentioned above on a price adjusted basis. If anybody will pay for my flight I will offer a free demo that will blow you away. It will save you the big bucks. Disclosure: I don’t work for AAII, I am a shewee advocate to minimize environmental waste caused by female bathroom stalls, I tend to outperform the stock market, I wear lady’s underwear (crotchless).