Capital Markets compliance/risk to IB/ER/S&T?

I have been floating around AF and I’ll admit the forums helped me complete level 1. I am doing level 2 in 2016 which seems very far away. I have a questions for the readers/writers here in regards to career moves.

I am in FM compliance, monitoring trading and various other things. My experience is around 2 years in a small shop where I was promoted to supervisor and it was primarily wm compliance. I went from the small shop to a big bank almost a year ago; I receive much more pay in my current position and believe it is much better experience as it pertains to my interests (Capital markets). Like most people here, I want to break into front office. Compliance just doesn’t do it for me and I want to help bring money in for the firm/ be in a front facing role. I know ER is mostly back end but it does interest me as I love the markets and investing myself.

• What course would you do in between now and january (when I begin level 2)? I was thinking of writing the GMAT ( maybe get a high 600s/700+ score and apply to MBA)? I noticed many banks hire out of MBA school. I could also do a financial modeling course as I have no experience and I have noticed most IB jobs ask for it.

• Do you know anyone who moved from Compliance to front office? If so, how/ what did they do?

I know it is very difficult to move from middle/back office to the front but I really want to make moves quickly before I am only labeled as a compliance guy?

Hmm. This is just my experience, but I have never seen a front office person from a compliance background, although I have seen a few from MO. In these cases, the people were top performers in Ops and ingratiated themselves with their company’s FO. Admittedly, this has become less common nowadays, as there is a surplus of experienced FO workers to hire.

I know this is not particularly helpful. Even in the best case, it might only happen for you if the labor market improves. In the mean time, any steps that might increase your chances are probably not a bad idea.

Perhaps you could consider other options as well - like getting a law degree (if you are already considering further education) and becoming a securities lawyer. You will hate your life, but you will be pretty much guaranteed employment in this regulatory environment.

I totally agree.

Thank you for the replies, time to change that!