career advice

I am a new undergrad, CFA Level II candidate. The job hunt is getting hectic and the competition is so stiff out there. Question? Would you take an offer as a Credit Analyst for Commercial Banking with a Local bank… ? help needed plz?? insights anyone?

It depends on what area. Banking is pretty diverse. You could be looking at anything from loans to individuals to leveraged loans to PE firms.

Commercial Banking Analyst?!! you should go for it…they mostly do small-medium business loans and do a lot of financial statement analysis which will be very handy to you and great experience…

thanks guys…Yeah it is a Credit Solutions Analyst position (some of duties include: Financial Modelling , Financial and Credit Analysis and so on)… Just a quick question will this type of career help open doors to investment careers later on? Sorry for this question, I am just very new to the industry and am now, trying to learn about different career paths in the industry.

Your first job could open doors to a lot of things… if you do not want to stay in this long term the underwriting exp and working with and around financial statements can only help… I know guys that start in credit and move up to more RM type roles and PM with credit products

I don’t know where you are in the process. i’m assuming if you are asking this you may have had a few rejections from other jobs you really wanted. If that is the case then this might be a job option. If you haven’t applied a lot of places or if you are still waiting on some other jobs then I’d hold off.

dont think that just because you did not get the ibanking or research job that you hope that its all over… lots of guys are having trouble getting those jobs this year and next… just keep trying but if this makes some sense and a option try to lock it up.

RAwannabeCFA, you give some solid advice everyday. great job

RAwannabeCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t know where you are in the process. i’m > assuming if you are asking this you may have had a > few rejections from other jobs you really wanted. > If that is the case then this might be a job > option. If you haven’t applied a lot of places or > if you are still waiting on some other jobs then > I’d hold off. Oh yeah, I have couple of rejections from ibanking. 3 to be specific. I can see It has been quite tough this year. On that note, I am trying to be realistic and see what my other options are. Maybe gain experience in other areas and try again.

thanks guys for your insights…

goldenboy09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > RAwannabeCFA, > > > you give some solid advice everyday. great job How were the interviews for IB? What sort of questions did they ask you? Was it very qualitative or quantitative questions? Did they actually test your analysis skills or was it more getting a feel of whether you fit the bill for the culture and long hours?? Or a combo of both (if so, which one was more heavily concentrated) Thanks PS: IB is extremely competitive and I have never actually gone for interviews in IB but venturing that way now.

Not sure if this question was meant for me or not. Anyway…IB interviews as far as I am concerned are a mix of all that. I found fit was extremely important and they could not emphasize that enough. I was selected through an on-campus recruitment and so had an opportunity to meet with the employers prior to the interviews. They held a reception event. Having said that, Anything is a go ( i.e qualitative and quantitative questions ) during these interviews…I really don’t have a lot of experience with these kinds of interviews myself, but from the few I have had, I found that they were more concerned with one’s thinking process, reasoning, application of logic than just a correct answer. From reading the messages on this forum, it seems this year has been quite tough, especially if you are being compared to a lot of other great students at the same time. Hope that helps! You can check the forum carefully this topic has been discussed in detail before.