Career Advice

Ok so I am looking for a new job but I’m not exactly sure what type of position would work best for me. I like analyzing investment data and asset allocation decisions. Researching indutries and stocks also sounds like something I would like. I don’t like sales and writing too much. And I like doing different things from time to time. Any input would be most appreciated, I am just trying to figure out what type of role would be best for my career. Any additional suggestions or questions would be welcomed. -Thanks again.

Hedge fund manager.

Thanks but I dont have the experience for that, where would one start… research analyst or something like that, I’m talking early career here I have only been working for 2 yrs or so. Anything else? What are the major job categories… sell/buy side, private equity, security research/analysis, m&a…what else? I would like something in Private equity or M&A but I just dont think I have the experience or credentials to get into something like that right now.

There is the question of what to do, and there’s the question of how to get there. It would help to know what skills you’d be building on and where you’ve been. What you describe sounds like a buy-side analyst position. However there is writing involved. Not necessarily a whole lot, but enough that not liking to write could be an issue. Sell side analysis has more writing pressure because it is consumed more widely. Buy side analysts most often prove themselves by doing sell side analysis first.

s23dino Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks but I dont have the experience for that, > where would one start… CEO of Citigroup

Honestly, I don’t know exactly why real estate is “shunned” in the finance industry, but what about real estate finance? For example, commercial underwriter. Assuming you have a finance degree and some relevant knowledge, you can land one of the entry-level underwriting gigs (btw, there is no such thing as a new college graduate entry-level underwriting job, for the most part. Almost universally requires AT LEAST 1 year relevant work experience, but usually 2 or 3). Underwriting positions pay pretty well, even at the junior levels.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There is the question of what to do, and there’s > the question of how to get there. > > It would help to know what skills you’d be > building on and where you’ve been. What you > describe sounds like a buy-side analyst position. > However there is writing involved. Not > necessarily a whole lot, but enough that not > liking to write could be an issue. Sell side > analysis has more writing pressure because it is > consumed more widely. Buy side analysts most > often prove themselves by doing sell side analysis > first. Well I’ve been working at a custodian shop doing excel models, doc analysis, and pleasing external parties (dealing mostly with fixed income and derivaties), graduated summa cum laude a little over 2 years ago, just took level III CFA, and had a internship as equity analysis that pretty much sums up my greatest resume strengths. O and I would like to go to a top 10 MBA program. I think buy side would be good as I don’t hate writing. Yea real estate does kinda get shunned but I dont think I would like an underwriting gig maybe an analysis role but I think that job category is pretty weak at this pt. Any other ideas on what would be good for me to get into with my experience and things I like? Thanks

bump

why don’t you like real estate? What about real estate investment banking?

I haven’t really seen any real estate jobs I like out there, if I did I may be interested but I don’t think I have the best background for that.

s23dino Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bchadwick Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > There is the question of what to do, and > there’s > > the question of how to get there. > > > > It would help to know what skills you’d be > > building on and where you’ve been. What you > > describe sounds like a buy-side analyst > position. > > However there is writing involved. Not > > necessarily a whole lot, but enough that not > > liking to write could be an issue. Sell side > > analysis has more writing pressure because it > is > > consumed more widely. Buy side analysts most > > often prove themselves by doing sell side > analysis > > first. > > Well I’ve been working at a custodian shop doing > excel models, derivatives, doc analysis, data analysis and pleasing external > parties (dealing mostly with fixed income and > derivaties), graduated summa cum laude a little > over 2 years ago, just took level III CFA, and had > a internship as equity analysis that pretty much > sums up my greatest resume strengths. O and I > would like to go to a top 10 MBA program. I think > buy side would be good as I don’t hate writing. > Yea real estate does kinda get shunned but I dont > think I would like an underwriting gig maybe an > analysis role but I think that job category is > pretty weak at this pt. Any other ideas on what > would be good for me to get into with my > experience and things I like? > > Thanks Anyone have any thoughts on what market salary would be for me or any good sites for that? -Thanks.