Career Advice

Hi Guys, I am new to the site and this is my first posting. I am from the Caribbean have an accounting qualification and Masters in Business Administration from the UK and I am FRM certified and passed the CFA Level III examinations. Currently I am reading Calculus and have purchased reading materials on Financial Modeling using Excel, VBA and C++. Though most of my career has been in accounting (currently working Fund Administration for 2 years) I am fascinated by the greater Finance world and am keen to get my feet wet and always viewed my accounting as a stepping stone. For the last six months I have been applying globally but with little success. Have anyone been in a similar situation or can give me any idea what is the best approach in getting into the industry. Thanks for you advice.

CFA charter, master’s in business admin, frm, 2 year accounting and you can’t break into finance? Those are pretty good credentials.

If your MBA from the UK is on the British government’s preferred list of top 50 programs you can go through the Highly Skilled Migrant Program and just move to london and start looking for a job. http://www.workpermit.com/uk/hsmp/mba_provision I’ve sifted below the qualifying programs located in the UK. University of Oxford: Said (UK) Ashridge (UK) London Business School (UK) University of Strathclyde (UK) Warwick Business School (UK) City University: Cass (UK) University of Cambridge: Judge (UK) Manchester Business School (UK) Cranfield School of Management (UK) Bradford School of Management/Nimbas (UK/NTH/GER)

sternwolf Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFA charter, master’s in business admin, frm, 2 > year accounting and you can’t break into finance? > > > Those are pretty good credentials. Having the credentials with no direct experience takes away from the value of the credentials. Besides, you never know, some people can have the credentials in the world and still not be very personable or any good at what they do. Personally, I would be skeptical why they did all the credentialing before getting a job.

Still, not having a shot at an entry level finance job??? Idiot, useless undergrad kids are having no problem.

ECCCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi Guys, > > I am new to the site and this is my first posting. > I am from the Caribbean have an accounting > qualification and Masters in Business > Administration from the UK and I am FRM certified > and passed the CFA Level III examinations. > Currently I am reading Calculus and have purchased > reading materials on Financial Modeling using > Excel, VBA and C++. Though most of my career has > been in accounting (currently working Fund > Administration for 2 years) I am fascinated by the > greater Finance world and am keen to get my feet > wet and always viewed my accounting as a stepping > stone. > > For the last six months I have been applying > globally but with little success. Have anyone > been in a similar situation or can give me any > idea what is the best approach in getting into the > industry. > > Thanks for you advice. 1) Don’t expect to impress anyone by telling them you have “purchased reading materials”. At best, you’ll get a ‘call me when you read them’. 2) “Fascinated” by finance? C’mon. What are you fascinated with? The stuff you have been exposed to in accounting or the CFA studies? In fact, you’re bored to tears by fund administration which is a business which shouldn’t exist and provides no useful purpose on the planet. If you tell people you are fascinated by what they do, you better be pretty sure they are a true believer and are fascinated by it also. I really like finance, but fascinated, um, I dunno. 3) You need to go talk to some people to help you on presentation. As sternwolf so tactfully pointed out, you have the credentials to get a job. That means it’s the presentation that is the problem. Have someone who does this for a living help you out. Get someone to help you with mock interviews. Take the thing about leadership training in the Tonton Macoutes off your resume. Gte your resume worked out…

Now, I would never curse my worst enemies to work in fund administration, but it does serve a useful purpose.

It seems like CFA institute offers some options: http://www.cfainstitute.org/memresources/