Career Change Advice - From Buyside to Big 4

I know this is going against the grain in this forum, but after 2 year spent on the buyside as research analyst, it’s starting to feel this job isn’t for me. Starting to feel burnout and losing passion for this job and maybe even finance, so looking for a career change A little background, only have a BS in Acct and Financing and pass CFA Level 1. 3.85 GPA from Drexel University and currently living in Philadelphia. So my question is how hard is it, especially in this type of economic environment, for me to transition to Big 4 auditing or consulting arm? I do have a couple of contacts at 2 of the Big 4, but there aren’t in snr management positions. Also, what kind of work environment would I be expecting and how easily can my skills be transferred? Thanks

Which Big 4?

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Which Big 4? EY + KPMG

Well, I started out in PwC before changing careers. If you find finance boring - accounting/auditing will kill you, and may also not be made for you. Take your time to think what you really need to do in your life. Almost everyone in what you are calling “big 4” is trying to get out.

Well, I started out in PwC before changing careers. If you find finance boring - accounting/auditing will kill you, and may also not be made for you. Take your time to think what you really need to do in your life. Almost everyone in what you are calling “big 4” is trying to get out.

Buyside analyst is one of the coolest jobs in finance with the best work-life balance (on the capital markets side). If you don’t like that job, I can’t imagine you’d like anything in finance or accounting.

buyicide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Buyside analyst is one of the coolest jobs in > finance with the best work-life balance (on the > capital markets side). If you don’t like that > job, I can’t imagine you’d like anything in > finance or accounting. Yeah. If you can’t enjoy your buyside job you’re pretty much going to be bored / unhappy your whole life.

I agree - most folks I know in Big 4 positions are miserable and trying to get out. If you are bored doing buyside research than no position in accounting will interest you much.

Translation on this thread: “I’m tired of working hard and want to find a 9-5 job where I can sit on my hands all day and get a paycheck for doing easy, repetitive work.” Try a government job.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Translation on this thread: “I’m tired of working > hard and want to find a 9-5 job where I can sit on > my hands all day and get a paycheck for doing > easy, repetitive work.” Try a government job. hahaha, exactly.

I can’t imagine you will find Big Four work more interesting (in any capacity) let alone audit. If you like to sit and interpret technical accounting standards, draft memos, and look in the rear view mirror at what happened (rather than a more forward looking finance career), then a long term career in audit may be fascinating for you. Big Four corporate finance can be interesting in the countries that have it, but it is 90% sell-side mid market work. It allows you to get your hands dirty working with your clients. However, I still can’t imagine it would be more interesting than buyside work.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Translation on this thread: “I’m tired of working > hard and want to find a 9-5 job where I can sit on > my hands all day and get a paycheck for doing > easy, repetitive work.” Try a government job. uhm, if that is the translation, then big 4 audit is not the answer cause they’ll whoop his a$$ during busy season

Long work hours and amount of work isn’t the issue…just looking for a change

Big 4 Audit completely sucks. Consulting [FAS/BAS/Tax(if not comliance matters)] are much more attractive. This might be the way to change the direction and at the same time not to drown in routine