Career Change from IT to finance

Need your advise on this. I am an IT professional and trying to move in to finance line. I am 35yrs old, economics graduate and worked with big banks all the while. almost 10yrs experience. I am a Level 1 candidate and taking the exam in Dec. Is it better to wait till I finish my CFA ( hopefully in 2 years) or should I start looking for some opening now itself ? what is the best approach ?

Why would you wait? There is no harm in going to interviews - at least you’ll get the added motivation to further study.

It can be a slow, tough transition, so go in with all guns blazing, time’s a wastin’

Let’s look at this from the perspective of you and the employer: Why would they want to hire someone who is 35 years old with no finance experience? Not to say that it can’t be done, but you are probably significantly against the odds. Moreover, from your side, why would you want to transition into an entry-level finance role (which is probably all you would be qualified for) when you have 10+ years experience in IT with most likely good compensation and great hours? Granted your description of “Finance Line” is very broad. Do you mean front office at a big bank? Do you mean operations or middle office? Your chances increase greatly if you wish to move into Operations, Middle Office, or are willing to work at a no-name shop.

Shinkansen Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > … should I start looking > for some opening now? what is the best > approach ? A) Yes B) Why not start off by looking for firms like Eagle, Thomson, SunGard, Advent, SimCorp, Trema, DSTi, CheckFree, GIS, IDS, QED, FMC, Trema, Wilshire …

thank you all. It is a good idea to start with some interviews, but my finance background is very limited to land in any of those jobs currently. I guess, I should stick with my curernt profile atlest till I finish my L2. Only are I can think of is a Business Analyst jobs which is in between IT Application development & finance related.

wawa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Shinkansen Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > … should I start looking > > for some opening now? what is the best > > approach ? > > A) Yes > B) Why not start off by looking for firms like > Eagle, Thomson, SunGard, Advent, SimCorp, Trema, > DSTi, CheckFree, GIS, IDS, QED, FMC, Trema, > Wilshire … wawa, why do you recommend these companies -any particular reason they might be interested in the IT-career -shifter profile?

*Great* case study from busy_people here: http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?13,606224

Shinkansen did you find any answers yet? I got the same question as you…how to move from IT to Finance You can email me at mr.clarke123@gmail.com

http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=53900

IT sucks get out while you can. All the jobs are going to India