Career change

Hello all so I have a B.S. and a M.S. in Biomedical Engineering and I am looking to transition into becoming an equity research analyst. However, I know nothing about accounting, modeling, valuation etc…As a result, Im looking to get a post bacc cert which will introduce many of the basics to me, however, i’m really wondering if its worth it…would it make any difference if i just took some courses at the local university? or do you think it would look better for me to have a cert (eventually i will be taking the series 63 and 7 (upon sponsorship)). I guess the main thing i’m looking for is a little guidance as I want to try to give myself the best chance of becoming employed as soon as possible. Thank you for any input!

adudakia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hello all > > so I have a B.S. and a M.S. in Biomedical > Engineering and I am looking to transition into > becoming an equity research analyst. However, I > know nothing about accounting, modeling, valuation > etc…As a result, Im looking to get a post bacc > cert which will introduce many of the basics to > me, however, i’m really wondering if its worth > it…would it make any difference if i just took > some courses at the local university? or do you > think it would look better for me to have a cert > (eventually i will be taking the series 63 and 7 > (upon sponsorship)). I guess the main thing i’m > looking for is a little guidance as I want to try > to give myself the best chance of becoming > employed as soon as possible. Thank you for any > input! Where are you based?

Honestly, if you have a job right now keep it. From your vantage point becoming an Equity Research Analyst may seem like applying for any other job, in reality it is a very tough position to get. Given the current circumstances, talent pool and people with at least some base level of knowledge breaking into any sort of financial role, not just ER (Equity Research) would seem almost loony right now. That being said, if you really are serious about getting that role and you know or think you know this is what you want to be doing it would behoove you to glean whatever ER reports you can off the internet. Once you’ve read them, start reading the material they are built off of, 10k’s, 10q’s SEC filings, Earnings reports etc. Once you think you’ve gotten a solid handle on that material try building your own simple pro formas and earning models. From your pedigree it sounds like you’re not that stupid, I am sure you have some sort of idea how crazy this sounds, however, I do not wan’t to be the one to stop you from pushing as hard as you can for what you think will make you happy. I was told quite a few times following graduation that I should just give up on Fin-ance. Long story short I landed a pretty solid gig with a good bank, it’s tough out there, however, if you put your head down and work hard you will be rewarded.

Im based in los angeles and thanks for the advice. Truth be told I had to leave my position with a big med device company in order to run the family business as a result of my dad falling ill. Unfortunately, within the last year its become incredibly difficult to get a job and i’ve also realized how much i don’t want to be just an engineer. I know it wont be easy but i was hoping to gain some sort of edge over the competition. Realistically if I complete a post bacc will i have demonstrated enough knowledge for an entry level position? once again thank you for the input (i feel like i’m facing a crisis right now in regards to what to do)

adudakia, if you really want to break into finance, you should consider going to business school. Most people here will agree that it’s the option with the highest probability of success. Otherwise, consider finance-related master’s programs. MFE graduates in particular are generally successful in job placement, assuming that they went to good programs. Also, have you considered other fields, like consulting? This might be a better fit to your background and education. Indeed, more MIT engineering graduates choose to pursue careers in consulting than finance.

Summary: - running family business - local ties to the place you live in now - long-term interest in equity analysis - don’t want to be just an engineer - in need of new job These are my thoughts: If you’re currently working in your family business, maybe marketing and accounting classes would be helpful and could be put to use in the short term, although it’s not your directly geared toward your long-term aim it’s good to have these if you /will/ have a job in general management. To land a job quickly I’d probably rule out long-term training in equity analysis but rather check out quick fixes such as sales training (even though that’s not mentioned on your priority list at all) which could prove to be a good combination with your existing engineering degree. If you set your sight on equity analysis, you might however want to check out the CFA program but at the same time consider putting in an extra year where you study partly accounting (to have the foundation) and partly the Level I curriculum. If you pass, that is fine, but you might want to plan to take it over two years to relieve yourself of unnecessary stress and disappointment and frustration. If you have unlimited funds and unlimited time on your hands you might opt for another university degree (assuming a post bacc cert is just that) but I’d be careful not to study too many years which might put you at a disadvantage when you apply for your next job since you will not have an equal amount of wokring experience compared to your peers.