Career Change

I will be turning 30 years old this year. I have been thinking about getting into private equity side for such a long time, but I just didn’t have the chance to get in. I have done different things after college (ucla, BA in economics) including operating a small business. I have over 5 years in commercial lending and 2 years in mortgage. Currently, I would like to pursue CFA, but I just don’t see if this is a right move. It seems to me I am too old to take the exam and get into the industry. Also, I will probably take pay cut. Is it worthy to sacrifice my career to get into the new industry? What’s upside? I will be appreciated your advice.

Why do you think you would do well in private equity? Just curious…

He’s a Rockefeller descendant. I think that says it all right there, Dante.

What’s the small business? Any chance you could make it bigger, then take it public, decide after 5-10 years that you don’t like having it public, enlist the services of a major PE firm a la Blackstone/KKR etc., and then take it private through a massive LBO. It’s a backwards, convoluted way of doing it…but it would get you directly involved in PE and you would not need to take a pay-cut.

Well, I gathered some investors to start a franchise, but it turned out to be a failure. I wasted about 2 years for it.

cfa2grunt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > He’s a Rockefeller descendant. I think that says > it all right there, Dante. They were scumbags.

Jeez, 30 is hardly too old for a career change. If it’s what you want to do, then do it.

i was going to say the same thing

I too graduated from college, borrowed a bunch of dough, parked it in a franchise, and quickly lost it. Next, I went to work for a managed futures fund, traded SP’s for 3 years, volatility dried up, firm went under, I lost my job. For the last couple of years, I’ve been slinging plates and working towards the charter. Tomorrow, I have an interview for a trading position. Here’s my opportunity to reenter the industry. I am 31. Focus your brain on what you want and it will gravitate towards you.

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What’s the small business? Any chance you could > make it bigger, then take it public, decide after > 5-10 years that you don’t like having it public, > enlist the services of a major PE firm a la > Blackstone/KKR etc., and then take it private > through a massive LBO. > > It’s a backwards, convoluted way of doing it…but > it would get you directly involved in PE and you > would not need to take a pay-cut. lol…clever