Career Switch from Accounting to Finance

Hi guys,

Hope all is well. I am looking to switch careers into Finance from Accounting and would like some advice. I have passed level 1 of the CFA exam and will be taking level 2 in May. I am a CPA and have about 7 years of experience in Accounting but not much in Finance.

My thought is that in order to make the switch, I will need to start at an entry level position and take a significant pay cut. I am located in the NYC area. If you could also please let me know what are the career options as far as entry level.

Thank you all,

M.

What do you mean by finance?

I’m talking about FP&A, Portfolio Manager, Investment Banking. Like on the investment side.

Those are very different jobs. I would spend some time to figure out what you actually want to do.

2 Likes

^ +1.
Also, in my (admittedly very limited) experience, accountants who have worked in accounting for a long time don’t do well in finance. Accounting tends to be excruciatingly detailed and backwards-looking, with very little room for interpretation. Finance tends to be forward-thinking, with a lot of estimates and forecasts and nebulous information.

What did you do in finance? If you’re at a CPA firm, is there an opportunity to do more finance-related work?