Carry Trade Details

In the carry trade,

1. if rates in the country we invest in go up, that hurts the investment side of the trade, correct? I haven’t come across an example that says rates in the investment country change and want to confirm.
  2. in the country we borrow in, can that rate of borrowing go up for any reason over the course of the carry trade? I think I’m confused- is it a short or is it a simple loan? Can the lender ask for higher margin/collateral is the long goes down- or is that just in the case of shorting a stock/investment?

Correct: the price of the bonds will decline, reducing your holding period return.

If you borrow at a floating rate, yes. But I believe that that would be extremely unusual in a carry trade.

So if rates go up in the borrowing country, we would pay more on the borrowing. If the carry period were longer than say 6 months (most of the examples show a 6 month carry), and we borrow for longer than 6 months, is there any scenario where rates going up in the borrowing country would have us losing on price appreciation of bonds in that country? I guess what I’m asking is- in the carry trade- is it a SHORT and a long, or is it just borrowing to buy a long? Is there a difference in those?

For the inter-market portion you’ll borrow (issue bonds) in one currency, convert it to the other currency, then invest (buy bonds) in that currency.

Your return will decline if:

• interest rates on the borrowing currency decrease, because the bonds will be more expensive to buy back at the end
  • interest rates on the investing currency increase, because the bonds will fetch a lower price when you sell them at the end
  • the borrowing currency appreciates relative to the investing currency, because you’ll get less of the borrowing currency per unit of investing currency at the end

I just finished an article on inter-market carry trade that’s getting rave reviews. (That’s marketing speak for "one candidate has started to read it and says that he likes it better than the curriculum’s write-up.) It’s one of my Level III fixed income articles which you can get here: https://finexamhelp123.wpengine.com/product/cfa-level-iii-fixed-income-membership/

(Full disclosure: as of 4/25/16, there is a charge to read the articles on my website. You can get an idea of the quality of the articles by looking at the free samples here: http://www.financialexamhelp123.com/sample-articles/)

I hope quite soon to shoot a video to go with it.

1 Like