Cars

I drive a 2000 V6 Ford Mustang which is pushing 120k miles. So far, I’ve only had stupid problems (rear defrost broke, muffler mount broke, wheel caliper problem, etc). Each of these problems were cheap and simple to fix. Otherwise I’m all about preventive maintenance and change the oil every 3,000ish miles. I use a local trusted mechanic whom is not part of a chain (Goodyear, Jiffy, Firestone) car service provider. Though, my car is 10 years old, it still runs pretty well and has been nothing but reliable to me. What type of car do you have, how many miles are on it, and what are your suggestions for prolonging the life of your car? I plan to keep mine until something serious goes wrong with it, so I’m all ears to preventive maintenance tips.

i have a 97 bmw 328ic w/ 187k on it. the key to having a car last long is doing the easy maintenance and taking care of the car. i’ve replaced the front suspension, hoses, tires, brakes, sensors, window motors, lights, air filters/pollen filters, speakers, seat belt clips, emblems and put a new top on it. taking care of it regularly is key (ie, wash, condition leather, keep out of sun, maintain/change fluids) otherwise you can find yourself paying steep prices to replace major components. i love my car and get complements with it. in fact, one guy offered to trade me straight up for his merc last weekend. not gonna happen, but it was a nice gesture. if you want the car to last, try to drive sensibly. don’t slam the brakes or take really fast turns, this can wear out bearings and puts a lot of stress across the car.

I drive a 2004 VW R32 with 47,000 miles on it. I’ve had the car for 5 years and like QJ and MAR I do all the preventative maintenece. Knock on wood I’ve had zero problems with the car and it has treated me beautifully. I think the only major problem was a rattle coming from the front sub-frame which was an easy fix. A side passion of mine is detailing cars (weird, I know) when I was living at home I would have the most insane detailing sessions. Sadly, I can only wax the car now and not claybar, polish, seal etc… I have slightly massaged the car to make it a better performer; thicker rear swaybar to stiffen the rear of the car, upgraded brake lines/calipers/pads/stiffening kit, denser motor mounts to increase responsiveness. Everytime I drive the car I get a smile, it’s not the quickest car on the road and it’s strating to show it’s age, but I love it. I am thinking about selling the VW within the year and maybe moving into something a little more fun like a Lotus Elise or Z4 M-Coupe.

I lease. The only thing i know about cars is that when i press on gas it will drive forward

1995 325is with 160k miles on it. Replaced quite a few maintenance items on my own to keep costs down, except for the clutch which I had a shop do. The car is getting old, has lots of squeeks and rattles but the engine still pulls nicely and tranny still shifts like the first day off the lot. I really do need a new car, problem is I love cars and I know ill walk out of a dealership spending way too much money. Just easier to stay away and keep no car payment right now.

MoneyMan_CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 1995 325is with 160k miles on it. Replaced quite > a few maintenance items on my own to keep costs > down, except for the clutch which I had a shop do. > The car is getting old, has lots of squeeks and > rattles but the engine still pulls nicely and > tranny still shifts like the first day off the > lot. > > I really do need a new car, problem is I love cars > and I know ill walk out of a dealership spending > way too much money. Just easier to stay away and > keep no car payment right now. I’m the same way, thankfully, the recession has flooded the used car market with nice, lightly used cars at some pretty insane prices. Gotta love people who over extend themselves on EVERYTHING. Makes me wonder if they can afford the food they’re eating.

2005 civic - I have about 50k on it. Thinking about upgrading to something with a bit more luxury. Like an Acura TSX, Volvo S40, or Saab 9-3. I’m suprised everybody here drive such old cars, i’m not into cars but all my friends new-ish cars and it makes me want to keep up.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MoneyMan_CFA Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > 1995 325is with 160k miles on it. Replaced > quite > > a few maintenance items on my own to keep costs > > down, except for the clutch which I had a shop > do. > > The car is getting old, has lots of squeeks > and > > rattles but the engine still pulls nicely and > > tranny still shifts like the first day off the > > lot. > > > > I really do need a new car, problem is I love > cars > > and I know ill walk out of a dealership > spending > > way too much money. Just easier to stay away > and > > keep no car payment right now. > > > I’m the same way, thankfully, the recession has > flooded the used car market with nice, lightly > used cars at some pretty insane prices. Gotta love > people who over extend themselves on EVERYTHING. > Makes me wonder if they can afford the food > they’re eating. seriously - back when this thing hit i was looking to get a 95 LR3 for 15g, but the guy wouldn’t go below 17.5… it was black w/ tan leather and had around 45k on; clean as a whales you know what fun toy, but a little too squeaky for me

Older Range Rover (2000 - 4.6 HSE) - love it, bought it in 2004 (haven’t loved it as much since the warranty expired, but it’s been pretty reliable surprisingly). I do a lot of the work on it myself. Looking to add to the stable and keep the ol’ boy as a winter car. Probably go with an 06 or 07 CPO Audi A8L, possibly a 745LI or S55 (again, a little older - 04-06).

HPI RS4 - 1/10 - Skyline It’s fast.

LPoulin133 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > HPI RS4 - 1/10 - Skyline > > It’s fast. So do you drive an RS4 or a Skyline? Details.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > LPoulin133 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > HPI RS4 - 1/10 - Skyline > > > > It’s fast. > > > So do you drive an RS4 or a Skyline? > > Details. Somewhat similar to this - city life means no car for me, this is the closest I get. http://archive.hpiracing.com/kits/heritage/n2-m.htm (572 Nissan Skyline body)

no car = no prob. try one of these: http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/ i’m scheduled to do an all-day track day in august w/ my dad.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/rnr/1830060180.html For those that care, here is my car. I posted the same thing on CL since this could yield some quite useful information. No offense to AF, but I doubt auto tech professionals browse the forums. CL may be a better audience to ask the question to.

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > no car = no prob. try one of these: > http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/ > > i’m scheduled to do an all-day track day in august > w/ my dad. That looks great. Did you set up the track day through them or through some other group? How are you getting around the issue of insurance coverage, is the track day considered an ‘educational course’? Let us know how that goes, looks like a lot of fun.

^ got the day as a Christmas gift, just had to setup a date. i have a car so i just need them to fax a proof of ins to the co. its through a different group, but i can’t remember the name right now. lineup includes: Lamborghini Gallardo Ferrari 360 Spider Porsche 911 Turbo Aston Martin Vantage Mercedes C63 AMG Nissan GTR BMW M3 i’m honestly drooling over it and won’t be able to sleep 2-3 days prior

You havent lived until you’ve driven a Carrera GT.

i shouldn’t be allowed in one of those. or near an apache.

That list is stacked though. I drove a GTR two weekends ago and for the money that car is INSANE. Ive driven a friends 911 Turbo and again, that car just pins you to the back of your seat. I also had some wheel time behind a 360 Stradale and that car is pretty raw, I would expect the spider to be a bit cushier.

the GTR is what i’m most excited about. that and the vantage. if brabus tuned a range rover sport i’d sell my condo and live in it.