Carve Outs

I don’t get this stuff. All I can think about are turkeys. What the heck is a carve-out?

it is part of the portfolio which is reported as a separate portfolio in a composite like you take equity out of balanced portfolio and report it as a separate portfolio in equity composite

If you have a 60/40 fund (60% equity and 40% FI) and you want to “carve-out” the equity into an equity composite and the FI into a FI composite instead of putting them in a Balanced composite. But remember you have to allocated cash to the Carve-outs.

and disclose allocation strategy too. Cash which you dont manage should also be disclosed

^Even if you don’t manage the cash, as a manager, you have can decide the cash allocation, more cash create a bigger return drag. Just my 2 cent.

Can you have a balaned composite or no?

Yes.

for example: i have the power to decide that 10% of the account will be allocated to cash my dedicated cash manager will decide in which money mkts instruments that cash is invested so as long as I have the power to move that 10% up or down, regardless of it being managed by other people, I must allocate cash to carve outs is this correct?

You must allocate cash to the carve outs, regardless if cash i managed outside the funds, I believe. If there is no cash outside the funds then you dont have to worry about it.

correct but i thought carve outs were disallowed at some pt in the future or something like that.

who knows :slight_smile:

s23dino Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > correct but i thought carve outs were disallowed > at some pt in the future or something like that. some point is like 2010

so you can’t carve out your portfolios after 2010? So for balanced portfolios you have to keep them in balanced composite and up until 2010 and you can do either/or (carve them out or use them in balanced)?

after 1 January 2010 crave-outs are not allowed one exception is, if a a certain stock or FI portion of the portfolio is managed separatelly, it can still be carve-out and all of that should be accompanied with appropriate disclosure

good call volkovv i remember that now, thats right-thanks

Thank you all - it is very clear now.

Remember, 2 methods for carve-outs: 1) beginning of period allocation method 2) strategic allocation method

so what exactly does “allocate cash to carve-outs” mean? can someone give me a good example of how this topic migh be tested?

carve ous will be no more in 2010, right?

So to summarize: - Carve Outs allowed until Jan. 1st, 2010 unless they are separately managed at which point full disclosure is required. - Cash must be allocated to carve-outs based on either: i) Beginning of Period Method ii) Strategic Allocation Method Does that about sum it up?