Cat saved by vodka infusion (aka important survival lesson)

“Tipsy had slurped down antifreeze. The coolant is extremely toxic to pets, and ingesting the liquid is often a death sentence for cats. Thankfully, Tipsy arrived at the animal hospital inside the hour window where something could be done.”

“It just so happened that one of our nurses had a bottle of vodka laying around, so we were able to administer it just in time to save his life,” Dr. Kanther said.

“This drunken antidote works because it gives the cat’s body something to process aside from the toxic antifreeze. “Basically once you put the alcohol into his blood it metabolizes that instead, and gives the antifreeze time to pass in a less toxic form,” the vet explained.”

So the lesson is, if you ingest a fast metabolizing poison, start downing vodka shots immediately, so your body will metabolize the alcohol, instead of the poison. Also, those nurses just have vodka bottles in their office? Must be freaky stuff going on “down under” if you know what I mean.

I heard about this several years ago. Cool to see it happen on a pet.

They vodka to a cat named “Tipsy”?

They probably named the cat Tipsy due to the vodka. She was a stray cat. Probably had a pretty bad kitty hangover afterwards.

This is an important lesson that I have been using lately. errr trying to use…

My nutritionist basically told me that if my BAC goes above a .08 shortly after a meal, my body immediately switches to metabolize the ‘poison’ in my system and much of the healthy food I have eaten gets processed as fat.

Soooo yeah. . .

Does it have to be alcohol? Not sugar water?

It has to be something that the body determines is more poisonous than antifreeze. Alcohol qualifies. Sugar water does not.

Not sure I understand how “the body determines it’s more poisonous than antifreeze” but OK

I think it just has to be something that is more reactive to the hemoglobin or whatever, compared to the poison. So maybe sugar with high concentration would help, it it competes with the poison in the metabolic reaction.

The body is constantly monitoring threats and also which threats pose the greatest risk to the organs.

thats one cool pussy

But that argument doesn’t make sense, because the antifreeze is more dangerous than the alcohol that the body chose to metabolize first.

No idea what that actually means, mechanism wise. I’ll just assume ohai has a PhD in biochemistry.