Celler-Kefauver Act ?? What the..

What the hell is this? Which of the following statements regarding the Celler-Kefauver Act is least accurate? The Celler-Kefauver Act: A) was passed to address weaknesses in the Clayton Act. B) broadened the regulatory authority to include asset purchases. C) required that all mergers must be approved by the appropriate governmental regulatory agency in advance. D) added rules to address vertical and conglomerate mergers.

D? Anti-Trust stuff.

i think i remember this question… i cautiously assumed they won’t test us on the HISTORY of anti-legislation???

A? i remember it was clayton then the 2 names then it was a 3 name trio… the names keep increasing with the acts. since 2 is just over the 1 name, i go A. how’s that for a bad memory for the history stuff? if we get these or graham-dodd or all of the history stuff, i’m calling shennanigans.

I agree with you guys… what a joke… anyway: Your answer: D was incorrect. The correct answer was C) required that all mergers must be approved by the appropriate governmental regulatory agency in advance. The Hart-Scott-Rodino Act of 1976 required that all mergers must be approved in advance by the appropriate regulatory agency. All of the other statements are correct with respect to the Celler-Kefauver Act of 1950.

I will gamble on these points. Way too much to learn before test day.

oh it was LEAST? lol i tried a most answer- didn’t see the least. 1 name, 2 names, 3 names. that’s all i know. clayton was 1890.

Refresher: - 1890: Sherman Antitrust --> made contracts that attempted to restrain competition illegal - 1914: Clayton --> detailed specific business practices as illegal - 1950: Celler Kefauver --> closed loophole in Clayton; now both stock and assets purchases had to be regulated --> b/c Clayton only regulated stock purchases - 1976: Hart-Scott Rodino —> required that all potential mergessrs be reviewed and approved by Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission —> Interestingly, prior to 1976 a merged company had to be dissembled after the merger if it was deemed anticompetitive.

screw this

^ Famous last words? :wink: