CFA candidate arrested by North Korea

Eskimo – I’m fascinated by North Korea and I’d love to see more pics!.. I technically set foot in North Korea at Panmunjom and maybe one day I’ll take one of those guided tours to actually visit.

NK helping keep that charter exlusive

cool

Found some more:

http://postimg.org/image/ojol0do29/

Here on the other side at Panmunjom. There were some tourists on the other side and much later back in Beijing I found myself on an instagram pic through #panmunjom. So hashtags arent completely useless. (It was taken by the girl in the yellow shirt)

http://postimg.org/image/yj0lqm211/

They even have an English language newspaper! Ok, its only four pages but still.

http://postimg.org/image/ku6vdft4x/

The pride of the Pyongyang public transport

http://postimg.org/image/97nb6c3xr/

And the typical shot of the empty highway

Yes, all in all very similar to the vice trip. Although I dont think they went to the mausoleum of the two dead kims. That is definitely worth seeing. They have a room full of medals, honor degrees and city keys for each and you think, strange, who gave them all these? You look closer and realize they got them all from guys like Idi Amin, Ceasescu, Pol Pot, etc. Basically the who is who of human scum of the 20th century. Little Kim must be pretty lonely since most of these guys are gone by now.

15 years hard labour. Damn son, NK don’t mess around.

Gotta feel for the guy. Only 21. Seems like a silly college kid who didn’t think through the consequences of going to North Korea and d!cking around.

If the US government can’t bargain for his release, that is his life basically over. I don’t think you would ever be right after 15 years in a North Korean prison. He wouldn’t even have anyone to talk to, no Western media, nothing. I doubt they will be too accomodating to family visits either. Total black out.

so roanry

really really harsh. 15 years hard labour for trying to steal a sign. he must surely have been warned before he went not to do anything stupid.

there’s something so fascinating about how absolutely batsheet crazy they are. so they make you confess and go on tv to say with a straight face that the reason you tried to steal a stupid sign was “to harm the motivation and work ethic of the Korean people”

t this kid apparently was offered 10k cash to steal the flag and apparently 200k if he didn’t return.

harsh punishment, but the kid is pretty stupid in his own regard.

You win some, you lose some.

Someone link his apology speech. Ish was cray

Yeah, but the article I read pointed out that these statements are often recanted upon release. Largely propaganda work. That being said, I wouldn’t be surprised if he did steal the banner due to being young and stupid. I could see 21 year old BS doing something that dumb.

In a foreign country with no ties to the US, no justice system, and no chance of a fair trial or defense?

yeah, it seems odd. what was he doing over there anyway?

I outran (and videotaped) the cops after coming to a full stop with fake plates on the car (450+hp trans am) multiple times in college just to for fun and partially to prove a point to a smug kid that kept saying, “you can’t outrun the radio”. I regularly took that car over 160 mph on the highways. Off the top of my head I can say that wasn’t even the dumbest thing I did at that age, so yeah.

From what I got he’s a pretty well travelled kid that likes to go to difficult out of the way locations. I’ve known several people like this. They’re just into it, the same way explorers risked their lives going to odd locations. It’s not illegal in either country, Americans do it with some regularity.

But would you do that in North Korea?

Why wouldn’t I take a banner?

Running from the police at 160+mph for the shits of it can equally ruin your life. Crash, hit someone, get arrested and spend years in jail, etc. At the time at that age I was pretty reckless. My point is that people at that age take greater risks with less consideration all the time. It happens.

i bet 5k bs will be able to steal the sign no problem and even if he gets caught he will escape

LOL.

What a dumbarse kid. I find it hard to feel sorry for him. When in Rome…