CFA candidate arrested by North Korea

Otto Warmbier arrested in DPRK. According to his linkedin profile, he passed CFA level 1.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/22/asia/north-korea-american-student/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/otto-warmbier-983814bb

Does that mean he will not be able to continue his CFA program since he must self declare his arrest?

Don’t think the CFAI treats NK like an allied nation. .

I suppose they need to report the arrest, but whether that will result in any consequences worse than what the North Koreans might do is a separate question.

I wonder if there is actually any credence to N Korea’s claims or whether this truly is just an horrific misunderstanding. Usually I’m a big believer in “where there’s smoke, there’s fire” but I’m not sure that applies when Mr Un and his cronies are involved. Fascinating country but so, so messed up.

I had an L1 class in DC many years ago with a chick who escaped from North Korea. I asked her if she was from Seoul - she said Pyongyang … lololol - I was like no way

i mean really

Was there in 2014. One of the few upsides of being non-US citizen I guess. What a weird place. It almost seemed like I would have to stay a bit longer than planned, when the solider lady at the airport demanded to go through the photos on my iPhone. I didn’t think she would be able to work it but she very skillfully deleted almost 100 pictures. They were particularly upset with me because I took pictures of construction sites. WTF? I was careful not to take any pictures of anything remotely military related. Anyway, the whole procedure went on and on until I was certain I would miss my flight. Luckily they were nice enough to keep the flight waiting for me. Never been so relieved when a plane took off. Felt like Ben Affleck in Argo.

Surely getting arrested alone can’t disqualify you from pursuing CFA charter. Would you not need to be convicted of something? Even then I assume it would have to be relatively serious. What are the rules, anyone know?

“Members and Candidates must understand and comply with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations (including the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct) of any government, regulatory organization,** licensing agency, or professional association governing their professional activities.”**

The CFA makes it clear repeatedly in the examples (often using environmental activism as the case) that it must be related to professional activities. I.E. theft, etc.

This made me spit my coffee, awesome story. I get so nervous whenever anyone swipes a few times in my photos never mind a north korean customs official.

Amazing thanks for sharing!

Was she cute?

He’s a junior…how did he take level 1 already?

^thats why he got detained…DRPK wanted to report him to CFAI

Actually, yes, she was cute. In fact there were two of them. I did take a picture of them when I finally left (not smart). Just a quick shot from the hip, I didn’t want to go back to another extended interview. My form of justice. You delete all my photos - I take photo of you! I think I have it here somewhere,…

Here:

http://postimg.org/image/ioiy8l6z7/

AF rescue mission meet up?

youreskimofriend wins this post

Wow that’s great. But the policy is sort of weird. If you really wanted to smuggle state secrets, why would you put it on your phone and not some secret sim card in your butt? Also, they know that people can take pictures of their construction sites with satellites, right?

I suppose there is no such thing as being pen pals with people you meet in North Korea.

Personally, I wouldn’t enjoy North Korea. You’d have to pay me a lot of money to go there.

I’d be too afraid that I’d get executed by anti-aircraft missles or something.

No, it really does not make a lot of sense. Not much does there. It’s hard to take them seriously even though for the locals it’s no joke. I met a photographer who been there 5 or 6 times already, working on a coffee-table book and he told me he never had a problem hiding his sim cards on the way out.

I am thoroughly convinced that 95% of the people have not the slightest clue how the world looks outside, let alone that there are satellites above their heads. Most of the infrastructure is from the 50s or 60s, the electric grid is garbage, the average city bus is so old that you would only find them in other countries’ museums and yet they proudly show you this stuff and honestly expect you to be full of awe.

I will see if I can dig up some more pictures when I get home.

Yea right? What would happen if they ran into the nudies! I dont think they allow that sort of smut in Best Korea