CFA Compensation Survey

How often does CFAI release its compensation survey? It appears the last survey was published in 2007. You would think they could publish one at least every 2/3 years…?

I recall reading somewhere that the target is to do the survey every other year. However, the financial crisis may make for some difficulties in doing the selection process (and maybe the decline in compensation during the crisis decreases the incentive to track it closely). I suppose that means that compensation is not efficiently priced, which makes sense given that compensation is not sticky downwards.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I recall reading somewhere that the target is to > do the survey every other year. However, the > financial crisis may make for some difficulties in > doing the selection process (and maybe the decline > in compensation during the crisis decreases the > incentive to track it closely). I suppose that > means that compensation is not efficiently priced, > which makes sense given that compensation is not > sticky downwards. Seems kind of misleading not to publish the good with the bad given the inherent cyclicality of the industry. That sounds like a violation of the CFAI code of ethics if you ask me.

I have no evidence that they actually did this… I’m just being a wee bit cynical, that’s all.

Can you link me to the survey?

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have no evidence that they actually did this… > I’m just being a wee bit cynical, that’s all. you know, they could have “technical difficulties” and not be able to conduct said survey.

CFAI used to do a survey every 2 years. Recently I noticed that not only did they not do one in 2009, but they removed the 2007 study from their website. When I asked about this, the reply was that to do a survey now would be “insensitive” and 2007 was removed because it was too old to be relied upon. They apparently have no plan to do another one any time soon, which is too bad b/c it was one of the most useful benefits of membership.

Two different corporations just had their shareholders vote against ridiculous executive pay packages, first time in american history. I don’t think the CFA wants to be publicly publishing that their candidates mean salary, with 10 years experience, is $800,000.