CFA Curriculum vs. MFIN vs. MBA

Hi all, Just curious if there are any MFIN or MBA’s out there that can shed any light/provide any comparisons with the CFA course of study and either and MFIN or MBA program. I’ve been told it’s all pretty comparable but not by anyone with an masters. Just curious is all.

I was looking into an MFIN program, and the curriculum is practically identical material to CFAI. The program was even structured so that the material was inline with Level 1 December exam and then Level 2 June exam (They offered prep courses just before the exams) I doubt the MBA program is anywhere near the same material as CFAI. P.S. Entrance requirements for MFIN had the choice of Gmat scores or successful completion of CFA Level 1.

@ Matori: Where have you read about CFA Level 1 clreared students being exempted from giving GMAT? Whcih universities are giving that exemption?

I agree with Matorie…I completed a Master of Finance degree last year (as my name suggests) and let’s just say about 95% of level 2 was like reading a novel because I’ve already studied it and been tested on the material… My friends who did their MBA specializing in finance were no where near anybody in MFIN in terms of finance knowledge (as you know, it’s much more broad and they learn other things… while MFIN is purely specialized on CFA type curriculum)…They struggled in the quantitative methods section of level 2 lol that’s the easiest section in my mind because of the econometrics courses…i’m not saying every MBA program or MBA student will not be as good at econometrics compared to an MFIN student, but whatever it’s just waht I see… This is my personal opinion and experience on this…I’m not going to mention the difference between MFIN and MBA regarding the job market… that may be a completely different story

Matori Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was looking into an MFIN program, and the > curriculum is practically identical material to > CFAI. > > The program was even structured so that the > material was inline with Level 1 December exam and > then Level 2 June exam (They offered prep courses > just before the exams) > > I doubt the MBA program is anywhere near the same > material as CFAI. > > P.S. Entrance requirements for MFIN had the choice > of Gmat scores or successful completion of CFA > Level 1. This is the one I was talking about… I am sure there are more out there. Please note #3 http://business.queensu.ca/grad_studies/mfin/application.php

awesome thanks for the feedback! It helps to figure out what to plan for years down the road if I can pass all three levels.

There are several MBA programs that are partnered with the CFA institute, meaning over 70% of the CFA curriculum is covered in their study. I think an MBA would be more worthwhile because not only does it provide you with the same depth of knowledge, but it also provides you with a larger pool for internships and full-time positions, which is what this is really all about. Also, I’m currently an MBA student in case the slanted response wasn’t a give-away.