CFA EOC

I’ve done a lot of prep for the exam but am just getting into doing CFA EOC questions. So far, I’m kinda feeling like they’re a waste of time. Does anyone else agree? They’re just so ridiculously open ended and not representative of the exam question style at all.

I guess it is too late to do EOC as they are very time consuming. If you have time and you think you are learning then go for it else forget about it.

I did a lot of them without actually writing answers, just read question, think of what the answer would be and check… i only wrote out stuff that was quantitative in nature… i think you should at least absolutely do the item set ones at the end of the chapters that have them

They are indeed very long to do. I just finished them yesterday. I found that they provided very little marginal value over what Schweser bring, but you never, maybe i’ll be happy to have done come exam day. I would skim through them the way Boston did. J.

In regard to EOC: Ethics, GIPS, Individual, Institutional, and Performance Attribution are absolute musts. Everything else…ehhh

Yea, boston your approach is kinda what is working for me. just reading / thinking / checking and calculating quantitative. i think i can get through these suckers.

boston what do you mean by the item set ones ?

Oops, didn’t notice there were two threads. I think the EOCs are hit or miss as far as I’m concerned. I’m only using them in areas where I’m struggling or areas that are really important. Several of the PWM EOCs are actually former exam IPS’s so those are really worthwhile imo. Otherwise I don’t even necessarily write them out unless its a calculation, just go over the answer in my head and then check the answer to see if I’m right. Saves time but I still get to see if there’s something important I should take note of. The GIPs EOCs towards the end were also nice for getting used to reviewing composite presentations.

boston21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I did a lot of them without actually writing > answers, just read question, think of what the > answer would be and check… i only wrote out > stuff that was quantitative in nature… i think > you should at least absolutely do the item set > ones at the end of the chapters that have them Totally agree. I find the item set ones to be very useful…especially those ‘is this statement correct/incorrect’ type questions. you know those’ll show up on the exam Also def worth it for IPS as Aimee mentioned.

there are a few readings that have EOC in item set form… just like the actual exam, i would say absolutely do those

It depends on where you are in your studies- if you only have time for practice exams or EOC, then of course focus on exams in this order: samples, past CFAI, CFAI mock- then Schweser exams. If you’ve done a fair bit of those exams already, I think there is actually a decent amount of value in the EOCs, they teach you how CFAI thinks, how they phrase things, and demonstrate how they really are asking you to “think” more than the other levels do. If you have time, go for them. I plan on mostly doing EOCs all next week-- Good Luck everyone!!!

Actually, for Level 2, the EOC vignettes might be old exam questions so I am not skipping them for Level 3.

CFAI EOC’s also contain some stuff thats not in the readings! as you all know the EOC also form part of the source for the exam questions. would advice agaist skipping these in favour of Schweser practice exams

right - the eoc questions are old exam questions or possibly written by exam writers. i guess this is common knowledge to veterans of L3, but the entire afternoon session is based off 10 vignettes, 6 questions each.

Another thing to add is that there are some damn good examples throughout the reading material!

For L1 and L2 I virtually ignored any open ended EOC question and just did the multiple choice/item set This year I’ll probably do mostly the same, but also “mentally” answer the open ended ones. Ndzhai is right… the in text examples are fantastic too