CFA for S&T at a BB

I read its pretty much useless, so is the CFA useful in getting your foot in the door at S&T at BBs?

for research - yes

get a degree in math, physics or soft sciences. You may get into “S” with CFA, but “T” would be a long shot. I personally think S&T is overrated. But that’s just me. Why do you want to be in S&T? PS: Not every trader can be Andrew Hall. BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I read its pretty much useless, so is the CFA > useful in getting your foot in the door at S&T at > BBs?

achilles Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > get a degree in math, physics or soft sciences. > You may get into “S” with CFA, but “T” would be a > long shot. I personally think S&T is overrated. > But that’s just me. Why do you want to be in S&T? > > PS: Not every trader can be Andrew Hall. > > BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I read its pretty much useless, so is the CFA > > useful in getting your foot in the door at S&T > at > > BBs? prestige of an ibank, decent work/life balance, relatively good pay (better then buy-side analyst/pm?)

Cant hurt to have it.

decent work/life balance … most successful traders will tell you otherwise. BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > achilles Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > get a degree in math, physics or soft sciences. > > You may get into “S” with CFA, but “T” would be > a > > long shot. I personally think S&T is overrated. > > But that’s just me. Why do you want to be in > S&T? > > > > PS: Not every trader can be Andrew Hall. > > > > BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I read its pretty much useless, so is the CFA > > > useful in getting your foot in the door at > S&T > > at > > > BBs? > > prestige of an ibank, decent work/life balance, > relatively good pay (better then buy-side > analyst/pm?)

For sales and trading on the sell-side, the CFA seems pointless. My impression is that the job function doesn’t require much analysis to be in sales or sales trading (proprietary trading-yes). I think it’s more about your potential book of clients. On another note, how do you get into equity sales or trading on the brokerage side of an i-bank (I’m not talking about proprietary trading)? Seems like you need to have a book of business, but how do you get into it initially? From what I’ve seen (at a boutique i-bank), they have it made as far as compensation/hrs worked and they aren’t grinding through press releases/financials all day like research.

CFA is great for sales.