CFA for the sake of it? No charter experience

I am currently working at an FI in software engineering leadership. I don’t currently have a degree (just a diploma). I was considering studying and writing the exams but my experience will not allow me to obtain my charter.

I want to write the exams - partially for my ego (hate not having a degree) and it might make me more marketable at work but it’s unlikely to change my trajectory dramatically.

Would i be crazy to go through the pain of studying for the exams if I am unlikely to earn the charter designation due to my role not currently supporting software that used for investment decisions?

It’s not crazy. There’re many people who passed CFA exams in China don’t apply to be a charter. Even if you study in finance and work in finance field, this exam is still difficult to pass and not particularly helpful for your career. Since you work in software industry, I don’t think it’s worth to waste time in this unless you want to go into finance.

I have an engineering degree form a reputable university in SEA. Worked a few years as an engineer while getting my CPA/CA…thereafter more than 20 years in corporate finance, head of finance roles. Just cleared my CFA level 1 (Feb 2024 sitting) and looking towards clearing level 2 in the near future.

What pulled me back to take these (tough) examinations are probably the new level 3 specializations which I will intend to take (the new specialization) in 2025.

I am confused. Whats the difference between a degree and a diploma where you’re from? I’m pretty sure you can’t even do the CFA level 2 without a degree. And to do the level 1, you have to at least be a junior in college.

https://finance.uworld.com/cfa/exam-requirements/