CFA in corporate finance analysis

Hi all, I would like to advance in my career path in corporate finance analysis - i.e. maximizing the company’s value through analysis, strategy, etc… I know that with that career goal in mind, I should be taking the CMA, however, I’m concerned that its certification might not carry enough prestige/recognition with employers in general, especially compared with a CFA charter. Should I still pursue a CFA in part for the financial analysis knowledge but also largely for the prestige it carries? Another option is to pursue a CPA, but it’s not really something I’m interested in. I’d appreciate any advice. Thanks!

MBA

I suggest a CFP

The CPA or MBA would be your best bet. The CFA would work too but it may be overkill. The CFP is not relevant.

Series 7. Serious suggestion: PT MBA your company pays for if there is a decent one available to you. Then CFA - CPA won’t add value to your financial analytical skills of how to improve firm value (besides better understanding of tax strategies, which while valuable, doesn’t sound like what you’re looking for).

Sarcasm detection is flawed.

I don’t know where I’m going. My Dad died, and he left me his degrees. My mom would always say “Dad, why don’t you work?”, But he just kept learning. All the other kids parents were working and saving up money for school, And I was actually in school all when my dad was in school. He was so greedy with degrees, he took my degree. And now I’m just glad he left me these. Because all the regular homeless people have newspaper, and look what I got.

poetic.

Thanks for the responses so far. Looks like CMA isn’t even a consideration here. An MBA would be my best bet, but that’s not really an option for me right now. While my company is willing to sponsor me to pursue CPA, CMA, and other corporate financial analysis/accounting designations of the like, they have never done so for an MBA. In fact, the CFA will be coming out of my own pocket as it is not what they are recommending for me. My plan was to earn a CFA, boost my job opportunities to some extent mainly because of the recognition it carries, and work for a company that would pay for PT MBA. With that said, right now my plan is to take CFA level 1 in June, CMA in Sept/Oct, and at some point work towards an MBA. Thoughts?

rdavid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi all, > > I would like to advance in my career path in > corporate finance analysis - i.e. maximizing the > company’s value through analysis, strategy, etc… > I know that with that career goal in mind, I > should be taking the CMA, however, I’m concerned > that its certification might not carry enough > prestige/recognition with employers in general, > especially compared with a CFA charter. Should I > still pursue a CFA in part for the financial > analysis knowledge but also largely for the > prestige it carries? Another option is to pursue > a CPA, but it’s not really something I’m > interested in. I’d appreciate any advice. > Thanks! I used to work in corp finance. A lot of people in lower management did not have a CFA charter, but a select few in upper management did have the CFA designation. It was easy for me to look up people in the company directory that had their CFA charter and network with them. I got points in the yearly reviews for the “furthering your skills and education,” leading to high review ratings and higher bonuses.