CFA in MBA school application

Do MBA schools care at all if you passed Level I/II/III? Or do they just look at your GPA & GMAT? Anyone know?

From what I’ve read - no. MBA programs want someone who has leadership potential, not just the brains to pass exams. If you’re applying with good GMAT and work experience they know you can pass the exams, they want someone who is more well rounded and people who bring new perspectives to the table. I think not having a great undergrad GPA won’t automatically disqualify you, but the GMAT is the most recent standard measure they have to put you against people. I think that is very important metric.

Law School = LSAT + GPA only (That’s basically it for law school) BSchool = (GMAT + GPA (This gets your foot in the door)) + (Work Ex + Leadership + Recommendations + Essay + Other Things (The core of your app)) IMO. Schools are starting to warm to the CFA, although it won’t earn you many brownie points and I don’t think being a candidate at any level will help much.

Why would it be detrimental to list it? I don’t think the application reviewers are cynical enough to think negatively of an application because it mentions the CFA charter.

I’m in the middle of applying right now, and I’m not hyping it up. However, the more quantitative or financial schools (Booth, Haas, Wharton, etc) may treat it like the ethics adjustment - if you’re on the edge, it may be the little bump that pushes you above someone else. A school like HBS that focuses almost exclusively on leadership probably won’t care too much about it since it doesn’t demonstrate leadership in any sense of the word

Mba programs care a lot about how employment statistics. Having a professional designation can only help your employment chances.

I had a conversation with UCLA about MBA admissions and the two most important factors they look at to weed out candidates are: GMAT + GPA! I asked about the CFA, hoping that an admissions officer would consider passing all 3 levels and boost my chances of being admitted with a very low GPA! He replied saying "You must have a 3.0 GPA to even be considered, it doesn’t matter that you are a Chartered Financial Analyst. CFA = a small boost if you GPA is >=3.0

CFA > Hotties> MBA > CPA> CFP

I hear your GPA matters less and less the further out you are. I’m hoping this is true, but not counting on it.

Wonder if there’s anyone here who got into one of the better biz schools with a low GPA?

To ChickenTikka: According to Anderson school of business a low GPA won’t get you in their full-time MBA program. However, working your way up to a director position at work will exponentially help your chances of being accepted to an executive MBA program. To Sherrie79: Yes, his name is GW!

ChickenTikka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I hear your GPA matters less and less the further > out you are. I’m hoping this is true, but not > counting on it. I think when they say this it is more in terms of a 3.7 is no longer much more relevant than a 3.2. The idea is that you are still in that above average - excellent range. I think at a certain point they can’t let you in just because they still have to watch their rankings. So you have to be somewhere around their metrics. From what I’ve read you have a CHANCE of being accepted somewhere if you are within the 20-80% range on your statistics. So when they break down the information: 20-80% GMAT: 680 - 740 20-80% GPA: 3.1 - 3.6 As long as you fall into those ranges they will look at your application. Then you really need to paint a picture of why you deserve the spot more than those that are also applying. A charter will help you because like someone said it shows you’re ‘employable’ but it will not make you a shoe in. I think your essays and how you tell the story of resume will be the deciding factor. Being good looking won’t hurt either. Ultimately though it’s going to come down to if your story connects with the reader at the school (who many not have any business experience). I wish you lots of luck. Let us know how your application process goes. I’m trying to become a CFA/MBA at some point so I’ve been reading a lot about B-Schools.

Rasec, is there a way to contact GW? Can’t seem to find him in the forum though. :slight_smile:

I have applied to London Business School for their EMBA program and they stated clearly that GPA is not important to them (They accept people with proper work experience, and they don’t have GPA’s) and also GMAT is a must but it all depends on the interview they will have with you. All other requirements are file fillers. CFA is an added advantage, and it gives a head start, and exemptions from 2-3 modules. However, if you can manipulate your title, and show a managerial position and experience in your firm, then you will have a sure shot in the program. I have noticed some important things in my interview: 1. They rarely check with your employer unless you are on a scholarship and will study for free. 2. The academic advisor who reads your essay is hardly associated to any business field. 3. If you are a CFA C holder, you will impress the interviewer because mostly he/she is in to test your academic background (Some readings of current economic and global issues will be enough to seal the deal).

Thanks mansoor. IMO though, that’s very specific for EMBA AND LBS… Most american schools for a full time normal MBA do care about the whole thing: GPA, GMAT, CFA, Work Exp, Essays, Recommendations, every piece of the puzzle…

Does it really matter if it is an EMBA or MBA?

Yeah. a LOT. The class profile is totally different, thus what they (admissions) are looking for is different as well!

Rasec Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I had a conversation with UCLA about MBA > admissions and the two most important factors they > look at to weed out candidates are: GMAT + GPA! > > I asked about the CFA, hoping that an admissions > officer would consider passing all 3 levels and > boost my chances of being admitted with a very low > GPA! He replied saying "You must have a 3.0 GPA > to even be considered, it doesn’t matter that you > are a Chartered Financial Analyst. > > CFA = a small boost if you GPA is >=3.0 Your first mistake was talking to people at UCLA. :stuck_out_tongue: