CFA in U.S. while on H1B

I would be going to the U.S on a H1B visa (work permit). I am not allowed to study in the US while on this visa. Could someone tell me if I am allowed to pursue the CFA course since it is actually a distance learning course. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does CFAI care where you are located in the world?

You will be fine - you are not enrolling in an university. CFAI is a self study course.

I completed the first two levels while on H1B

Yeah, all you need to do is illegally sneak across the Mexican border and the Democrats (with their friends George Bush, Mike Huckabee and John McCain in the GOP) will not only make sure you’re admitted to universities, but that you’ll receive in-state tuition. Come here legally and be prepared to be severely limited.

After the hundreds of hours you would put in to clear the exams, you may not be able to get the charter, since cannot switch jobs to get the required work experience (if you are not already on track). Ignoring getting the charter factor, you may not even be able to pursue opportunities in finance, since the visa restricts you to be doing technology jobs, and stay with unscrupulous middlemen in pursuit of green card. If you are doing it for genuine value-add to your profile, go for it.

Rohit, are are kidding around? We can surely take the CFA whilst on H1-B. I am on H1-B here working as an IT Consultant and a CFA-L2 Candidate.

The work experience is mainly against fresh kids out of college who have passed all 3 exams. There are many work experiences listed that would qualify almost anyone, unless you work as a dentist.

busy_people Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > After the hundreds of hours you would put in to > clear the exams, you may not be able to get the > charter, since cannot switch jobs to get the > required work experience (if you are not already > on track). > > Ignoring getting the charter factor, you may not > even be able to pursue opportunities in finance, > since the visa restricts you to be doing > technology jobs, and stay with unscrupulous > middlemen in pursuit of green card. > > If you are doing it for genuine value-add to your > profile, go for it. I was in audit. Now am doing Equity Research at a BB. Had no problems transferring my H1B. I dont have an MBA to justify change in skill set. It depends on how lawyer files your H1B. Get a good lawyer