CFA Instititute Job Listing: NO CFA or MBAs please

JOB DESCRIPTION This entry-level research position is JOB REQUIREMENTS Undergraduate degree, modest work experience (less than 3 years), no CFA or MBA Been seeing this a lot lately…

No CFA? They don’t want an endless supply of cheap workers with no other employment prospects?

Looks like a signal that they want to hire a junior-level employee, i.e. salaries ranging from $40-75K in all likelihood. A big pain for many employers is to go through an entire recruiting process but later realize that the candidate had a totally different set of salary expectations. This is one way to mitigate the disconnect in expectations, I think.

The problem is: -This position was advertised on the CFA website. -In this economy an unemployed CFA might very well take the lower salary

There are plenty of CFA Level I/II candidates who look at the jobs on the site. It’s not crazy for an employer to want to hire a Level I/II candidate (and pay that kind of ) than to hire a full-blown CFA charterholder (and pay that kind of ).

It’s better than job postings that state “1~3 year front office experience, CFA a plus” while only offering $60k~$80k

This again shows that CFA is overrated.

C’mon Dawg, I thought CPA was overrated.

pupdawg82 - I beg to differ. Numi is correct in his assertion that this is a screening mechanism. If anything the logic would be that CFA charterholders are too good and too expensive for entry level jobs.

lol typical of HR department, seriously

Could this mean CFA=MBA *Runs away and hides in a bomb shelter, begins dividing by zero as well*

This is an entry level position. Of course they don’t want a CFA or MBA for an entry level position. They want to pay somebody 40 to 50k and not have to pay 100k. The sad thing is, in this job market, many people with the CFA would actually interview for this position if they could.

thommo77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This is an entry level position. Of course they > don’t want a CFA or MBA for an entry level > position. They want to pay somebody 40 to 50k and > not have to pay 100k. The sad thing is, in this > job market, many people with the CFA would > actually interview for this position if they > could. The problem is, those people would be gone whenever they could. They want someone who might stay for a few years.

Let’s say a CFA holder takes the same salary. His training time would probably be less. Would you rather a great employee for a year (and then he gets promoted or moves on )or a so-so employee for four years…