CFA LEVEL 1 JUNE 2011

I will be sitting for the L1 in june 2011 for the first time. I will be recieving CFA 1 books as well as Elan Guides material in a weeks time. I decided to start early and i am also completing my final semester in college. Should i read the CFA books first or should i just focus primarily on the Elan Guides material. I really want to use my time efficiently covering everything i can and therefore i was wondering if the experienced experts can share some tips. any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated Thanks.

I just registered for the 06/2011 CFA exam 1 myself. I am looking to formulate a study plan if anyone has one they would like to share it would be greatly appreciated.

bapswarrior: if you’re in a business/finance/econ/accounting program then I would definitely just focus on Elan. Use the CFA books for questions and summaries and background reading (if and when you need it).

beatthecfa, I am a finance major and i have basically completed several intro courses ot acct, fina, econ, and busn. I currently have investments, fina II, taxation, and busn. policy& strategy. So are you saying that by my exclusively focusing on Elan notes and guide (FYI: ordered the elite package) i will be using my time efficiently and that the CFA books would just be an overlap to Elan! Wow, that’s great, i just wanted to know if you can share some tips of you you took the exams, i have done so already? Thanks for your time.

I just registered for June 2011 Level 1. I am from a non-finance background, so I really need to start from scrach. I am initially thinking of reading CFA books, couple of sections atleast than will plan on buying schweserNotes.

If you are completely new, read the texts, but read the Schwesser chapter right after you read the text. The texts don’t pound the important points in, which is a problem, unless you want to be going to them a 100 times once you are doing practice problems. I really wanted to read all the CFAI books, but they were just a waste of time, except for econ.

bapswarrior Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > beatthecfa, I am a finance major and i have > basically completed several intro courses ot acct, > fina, econ, and busn. I currently have > investments, fina II, taxation, and busn. policy& > strategy. So are you saying that by my > exclusively focusing on Elan notes and guide (FYI: > ordered the elite package) i will be using my time > efficiently and that the CFA books would just be > an overlap to Elan! Wow, that’s great, i just > wanted to know if you can share some tips of you > you took the exams, i have done so already? > > Thanks for your time. I think you’ll be fine Elan’s comprehensive package (Im pretty sure its the Ultimate Pack). You should still use the CFA books for practice questions and summaries to ensure that you are not missing anything. I have seen the 2011 CFA books and they have added a LOT of multiple choice questions, which is great! Tips is something I dont specialize in, but I will definitely be around to provide some guidance and help you all out with problems with the material. Good luck!

kak1978 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just registered for June 2011 Level 1. I am from > a non-finance background, so I really need to > start from scrach. I am initially thinking of > reading CFA books, couple of sections atleast than > will plan on buying schweserNotes. Does a non-finance background mean that you haven’t done any intro-level econ, accounting and statistics either?

beatthecfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Does a non-finance background mean that you > haven’t done any intro-level econ, accounting and > statistics either? Thats correct. I am a Engineering major both in my Grad and Undergrad, but I have been working in a financial services firm for about 3 years now, so that is all the financial knowledge I have. Also I am about to finish the schweser CFA fundamentals book, which kind of gave me a overview of the curriculum.

Hi Kak, I am also from non-financial background. could you share your details to have a call with you ? Thanks in advance… Regards, Mohan