CFA Level 3 - Review of Prep Providers, Post 2019 Exam

Sample size neglect right there

Solely used MM and CFAI for Level II and III. I didn’t find out about MM until the night before Level I exam. I could/willing to afford only one prep and chose him.

Very satisfying, especially Level II materials. I never learned about derivatives before and by the end of it, it’s one my favorite topics. Passed Level II almost solely with his videos, didn’t read most of CFAI textbooks.

With Level III, MM was 100% supplementary. I need to read the CFAI materials on top of his videos to ensure I covered everything. I watched his videos first and then read the materials. Videos helped me to get through the textbooks. I spent a lot of time doing blue boxes, EoC, TTs, and mock exams. S2000 graded one of my mocks, it helped a ton. After the exam, I came to a hard realization that nobody can predict the questions on the exam. Past exams do not/cannot predict future exams. I read a lot about LevelUp bootcamp, was enticed for a second until I saw the price tag. Honestly did not want to spend that kind of $$. I also read that Marc spoke trash of other prep providers & I didn’t want to spend money on commentary.

What is he majoring in then?

Does MM sell mocks separately?

Got me.

He claims to have earned a PhD from the Weatherhead School of Management at Case Western Reserve University. Their website lists PhD programs in Management (Accountancy, Design & Innovation, and Designing Sustainable Systems), Organizational Behavior, and Operations Research.

No finance.

Perhaps they used to offer a PhD in finance, but have since dropped it.

That seems unlikely.

New hear and looking for some help. I used Meldrum for L2 and loved it. He mentioned he is changing some things in his L3 material for 2020 exam…notes and some Vids. Has anyone seen them? Would this make anyone go to IFT or another?

Thx in advance

I paid using my own money by the way…

I DO NOT recommend Kaplan. I used Kaplan to for Level III due to the reviews. I only studied the Kaplan material due to time and watched the 170+ extremely long videos and took the online class. I worked the CFA questions due to the poor Kaplan website. I scored in the 10th percentile after studying over 400 hours. I started in October. Today, I called Kaplan and they stated that I did not meet their requirement to gain access to their material again. The questions on the CFA Level III and the emphasis that Kaplan put in certain areas were not covered on the test. I wasted a lot of time with them and extremely frustrated that I blew $1200 and more than 400 hours of my life believing that Kaplan knew what they were doing. The website is not user friendly. I wish whoever reads this good luck and I hope you have better luck then I did.

hear hear; also used MM and passed with 90th percentile with three months part-time prep; the only thing I would beg to differ is that I loved MM’s videos, i didnt read curriculum (excpet for the questions) but focused mainly on Mark’s video; his walkthrough really helped me with the AM session in terms of how to answer the questions; also agreed that starting prep from Oct is ridiculous and price for level-up is inflated

I too don’t understand the negative comments on LevelUp. Most of the above was posted before the results came through. Full disclosure that LevelUp got me through Level 3. I don’t mind the self-promotion in the BootCamp because it made me feel like I chose the right teacher. As a 5 year vet of the CFA program, I wasn’t planning on promoting LevelUp. I’d rather keep it a secret.

But if it wasn’t for the outpouring of promotion on AF in 2018 I wouldn’t have seen all the comments saying it was amazing.

I used IFT and Ronen in 2018 and failed. I can’t bash either of them, because they’re both solid. They both tell you to use the institute material (correct), and they guide you through a good amount of the strategy. Ronen is available if you need to text him or call him and he responds. I have more than a handful of colleagues that have passed using Ronen and I know at least 1 that passed all three exams with IFT. I just think that if you want to pass Level 3 on the first try you have the best shot with Marc as you won’t need to do as much of the grueling work yourself (of reading between the lines). Ronen and IFT missed a good amount of the detail in Level 3. I didn’t realize this until I went to see Marc.

I think since Marc only does Level 3 he is able to comb through the material like no other provider. His attention to the detail is unparalleled. And if you think you only need to know the 70% that other providers say you need to, I would respond by saying that I was not surprised by a single question on this year’s exam. I definitely missed a few equations because I figured they wouldn’t test the math of level 2.5 of a 10 level topic, but I was able to scratch down half or 75% of it.

Just on the side note. Visit www.acelevel3.com

Alex does a to the point no nonsense job at an affordable price. He actually solves tbe paper and demonstrates the difference between having the ‘knowledge of the material’ and the ability to take the AM paper.

He’s a 2018 passer, and with limited experience in teaching… I feel that you need to have more knowledge (and breadth) overall to teach and to grade.

He does post his grade sheet, and I totally whipped him on all three levels :)… Doesn’t mean I can teach.

I disagree completely.

Every first-semester calculus student who has passed the class is fully qualified to teach first-semester calculus. Why should the Level III CFA curriculum be any different?

@ 125, I am not being paid or I do not have any vested interest in promoting any prep provider. It is unethical as well to do it on the forum where other prep providers are paying for their promotion. To be honest, Alex the kid does not teach nor brags about it. I subscribed to his services and merely glanced through the past 3 papers he solved. That was enough for me. If you believe someone is or is not qualified to teach again you are entitled to it. BTW, last I checked Meldrum does not have the charter either. Does that make him any less of a instructor, tutor, provider ? Do not think so.

@ Bill Campbell thanks.

i also bought alex pdf, it motivate me to practice bullet style until 2006.

but on the real exam i even don’t have time to put bullet, only short concise sentences.

[]

x

I’d like to buy MM mocks and his minimum package when would this be available please. Everyone is talking about past AM mocks, questions. Where could I find those. I have been having a long break since Level II due to giving birth to my 2 children, working and illness however I hope I could clear it finally this year. I am in London(and self funded). Many thanks in advance.

Here are my thoughts on passing L3 - I just passed in 2019!

https://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-iii-forum/91373191

IFT is the number 1 without a doubt when compared with Marc and Schweser. Every other opinion is influenced by the strong marketing made by Marc and Schweser, or have a pecuniary interest in them.