CFA Level I Mock Exam Afternoon Q17 and Q20

Q17 (A) Use of abbreviations Why is this choice wrong? I think it’s OK to use CFA for Charted Financial Analyst. Q20 solution is (B) The 10 numbers are: -11, -5, 8, 9, 18, 20, 20, 21, 25, 35 Shouldn’t we use the following to calculate the position of an observation in a given percentile: (1+N)*(percentile) = (1+10)*80% = 8.8 so the number is somewhere between the 8th and 9th number which is 21 + 0.8*(25-21) = 21 + 3.2 = 24.5 that is © Can someone please help me with these two problems?

Regarding your question with percentile. According to schweser - When they ask for the population of a given percentile, you use the (1+N) * (X/100) When they ask for sample, you use (N) * (X/100) Hope this helps…

I have the same confusion about Q17, why blogging bout broad topic of CFA program is prohibited?

I’m not sure what the questions is, but if it is about blogging about broad topics on the exam, look at page 140 under the confidential program info… second paragraph (just under the 2 points). Now, do I know why this is a violation… not really.

Choice A was definitely not correct as CFA trademarks are supposed to be published as it is, not in the abbreviated form. Means, CFA for “Chartered Financial analyst” is not wrong as long as it’s used to in the right context and as adjective. Moreover, CFA is a trademark, not Charter Financial Analyst. However, “CFAC” for “CFA charter holder/candidate” or “CFAP” for “CFA Program” is not allowed. I am not sure why blogging about broad topical areas is prohibited. I know talking about broad topic areas covered in the exam right after the exam is prohibited as it gives unfair advantage to some of the candidates – say, if your friend appears for the exam in London and you are in US appearing after him due to TZ difference, he calls and discusses about topics covered, you will prepare more for the areas which were emphasized more in the exam and less for the topics which weren’t, so you have a clear advantage here, although not much of an advantage as what can you really do right before the exam but rule is a rule. Nonetheless, I don’t think talking about broad topic areas about the exam in general is prohibited. I got the question wrong as well as I didn’t know claiming about expertise is the right choice. That somehow didn’t look right to me claiming your expertise based on the blog. I mean, come on, give me a break!

Thanks guys for your replies!

JRossSter Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Regarding your question with percentile. > > According to schweser - When they ask for the > population of a given percentile, you use the > (1+N) * (X/100) > > When they ask for sample, you use > (N) * (X/100) > > Hope this helps… Thanks a lot guy

in the example, it is the 80th percentile which works out evenly because there are 10 numbers in the set, so the 80th percentile is the 8th number and no calculations are needed. if there were 11 numbers in the set, then you would have to do the calculation you mentioned. and for question 17, i questioned the abbreviation thing, but it was obvious that he described the cfa institute correctly (more obvious than the abb. question)