CFA Level II/CAIA Overlap

Hello all. This question is directed toward folks who have sat for both CFA Level II and CAIA Level I. I recently took the CFA Level II exam and was wondering how much studying I would need for Level I of the CAIA if I were to want to sit for it in September. Is there much overlap between CFA Level II and CAIA Level I? Thanks in advance.

CFA L2 Alternative Investments cover only a really small subset of the CAIA L1 curriculum

Gotcha. In terms of hours, how much studying would you recommend for CAIA L1? I put in roughly 325 for CFA L2 and expect to pass by a decent margin.

Level 1 CAIA is a joke when compared to any level of CFA. However CAIA material is very informative for job purposes and you’ll enjoy the material if you work in any alternatives. I had studied only 12 or 13 days and just took their online mock once and I passed with OK matrix.

I generally agree here but would encourage you to study more than 12-13 days (I am more cautious). I think I prepped for +150 hours and passed first try. The content is very interesting but different from the CFA program.

I endorse this strongly. I would never advise anyone to study less than 1 month for CAIA 1 or 2.

how hard is 2?

Not hard as compared to CFA. But dedicate atleast 1 month to it with special focus on hedge fund material and 10 or 11 case studies.

I plan on applying for CAIA’s stackable pilot, if they continue it next year: https://caia.org/stackable-pilot. This effectively exempts you from CAIA’s L1.

Good luck to you but I don’t personally appreciate this move by CAIA. If they want to create any brand value of its own they should not be giving out CAIA charters that easily. The program is already quite easy as compared to CFA and move like this will further dampen whatsoever popularity this program is trying to gain.

Agreed again. I would encourage candidates interested in furthering their education on alternatives to sit for both levels. There are enough differences to warrant both exams.