cfa readings vs. schweser

i just started studying in last week (just signed up a few weeks). i have a background (work and education) and in many of the subjects in the CFA II… but frankly the amount of material and the nit-picking detail of the CFA readings is starting to make my head explode after only a week. so, i’m going to start using the schweser’s alot more… but people in office say that the exam moves more and more away from schweser’s each year. anyone have opinion as to how well a bright person could do using only schweser’s (not what i’m advocating/planning, just curious). have they started getting more nit-picky the last few years on the exams. most of the concepts are very straight-forward, but then they get into so many IF scenarios. like the first reading in the FSA section. “accounting for investments”. it’s practically incomprehensible. thanks in advance!! i think we need a few threads where people who made it thru level 2 recently answer some questions…

Okay - I didn’t make it throught L2 last year but know someone who worked in the business for many years who did pass with flying colors and he highly recommended Schweser notes plus tapping into their question bank. I utilized two other sources for questions last year, in addition to CFAI, and I’m finding that the Schweser QBank is simply grand. Of course, CFAI will do whatever it takes to test us so one must always be ready for the unpredicatble. At this stage in he game, I don’t think you can do both but I would strongly recommend the problems at the end of the CFAI readings. All the best!

FastEd, thanks… i’m using schweser’s and enjoying things much more. and i think i’m getting a feel for what areas to augment with the CFA readings. is the Schweser QBank included with the purchase of the main books? or is it extra? i’m guessing it’s extra as i went for some complete bare-bones package with schweser, which i think is only the books (which are great BTW) i have to concur on practicing as many questions as possible. i get so many wrong i think because of their wording. i could explain the concept o.k., but the way they describe it is hard to decipher for me (one question claimed that inter-state banking doesn’t provide geographic risk diversification… i’m wondering if that one is completely wrong. thanks again.

"is the Schweser QBank included with the purchase of the main books? or is it extra? i’m guessing it’s extra as i went for some complete bare-bones package with schweser, which i think is only the books (which are great BTW) " westbruin-------> I bought the essential solution for around $600 or something and it included the Q bank. Schweser Pro is $349. I recommend you utilize the online version.

didn’t put this in my last post… but i think you have to accentuate the schweser with the CFA readings. but not get bogged down. just general principles and calculations. not 50 IF conditions