CFA - Schweser Difference

Hi, I have currently been revising most topics using the CFA text, but now I have come to corporate finance, portfolio management and securities I am using the Schweser text. I have noticed that Schweser misses out some relevant formulas - e.g. the unlevered Beta calculations. Is this the case with most topics? I have only found a few points Schweser has missed out so far, but does it get worse?

this was asked a few days ago funnily enough - ive not seen any instances where schweser doesnt cover an LOS orn skips relevant content. the beta, pure play info with in corp finance isnt in the 2008 LOSs therefore cant be examined in the dec 08 exam. Note - it is in the 2009 LOSs per the below link: http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/resources/studysessions.html

The key difference between Schweser/Stalla and the CFAI curriculum is that the curriculum consists mostly of chapters lifted from existing works. I assume they choose the material that best fits the majority of their LOS’s. OTOH, Schweser/Stalla are designed as condensed, targetted versions of the curriculum. So, they include ONLY what’s on the LOS’s, and present it in a boiled down version.

Could I pass the level 1 with just Schwesers? I’m tempted to try… but afraid that I might miss something major in the CFA curriculum.

cpham Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Could I pass the level 1 with just Schwesers? I’m > tempted to try… but afraid that I might miss > something major in the CFA curriculum. Don’t know. There are many people I know who couldn’t pass the exam no matter what source(s) they used (CFAI, schweser, stalla, tutor etc). If the question is: Can people pass the level 1 with just Schweser? then the answer is yes, many do. Whether you can depends on how you learn, you background, ability, how much time you put in etc (although many of these woudl also apply to: can I pass Level 1).