CFA Societes

When is an appropriate time to join one? I am waiting on my results from L1. Afterwards a pass is a good time to join? I live around NYC so was thinking the NYSSA. Does anyone want to share when they joined/benefits or are in the NYSSA? Is it worth joining before passing L2?

I joined right after I sat for L3 so my charter would not be delayed at all. My strategy would have worked perfectly if I’d actually passed L3 on the first try. Fortunately my company picks up the NYSSA dues. NYSSA offers some nice topic-specific seminars throughout the year and you are free to use their “lounge” whenever you’d like. I think you can use some office space for meetings too, although not sure if that’s free or not. I haven’t been to their new space, but the old one was comfortable and there was always free coffee, water, and soda available, as well as free WiFi. They have a history of hiring attractive receptionists too.

Correct me if I am wrong on this, I thought most society only let you join once you have the charter.

ws Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Correct me if I am wrong on this, I thought most > society only let you join once you have the > charter. I joined the San Francisco society as a regular member after I passed L1 because I had enough work experience.

Yeah, I joined after passing L3 while I’m waiting for my work experience to kick in. My company picks up the dues. If they didn’t, no way I would have joined.

Do all local societies have 4 year work experience requirements? I just took level 2 and if I pass I was just going to try to join even though I don’t even have a year of we.

ws Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Correct me if I am wrong on this, I thought most > society only let you join once you have the > charter. NYSSA has an associate membership for non-charterholders. They also have a student membership. I don’t know what other local societies do.

You can become a regular member if your work experience is approved and you pass level 1. I’m a regular member of the Indian version of Nyssa in this regard even though I am not (yet) a charterholder.

You can become a regular member if your work experience is approved and you pass level 1. I’m a regular member of the Indian version of Nyssa in this regard even though I am not (yet) a charterholder.

ChickenTikka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You can become a regular member if your work > experience is approved and you pass level 1. I’m > a regular member of the Indian version of Nyssa in > this regard even though I am not (yet) a > charterholder. Tikka, are there any benefits to being a member as a person who has only passed level 1? I guess I’m trying to find out if paying the dues is worth it beyond saying you belong the association?

The Indian society has regular meetings and I haven’t been to any. So I can’t really say. I joined because it was free after April 1st. My membership has now lapsed and I’ll pay the dues if I pass. Some societies have to be worth it. But I wouldn’t know which. Nyssa sounds like a good one.

Tikka does the Indian branch have a hot receptionist as well? I registered after sitting for L3 last month - hoping I didn’t jinx myself…