CFA suitable for commercial banking and financial advisory?

hi all, I am a corporate financial analyst in financial services firm. My job requires me to do business valuation reports, feasibility studies, financial modelling/forecasting and banking memorandums. In future, as the company grows it will also include M&A and writing IPO’s prospectus. I’d like to have the opinion whether having CFA is relevant to my current job. and will my experience fulfill the criteria of work experience required for CFA. I want to remain in same type of job or at the most move into credit rating agencies or commercial banking. I am not that interested getting deep into asset management or IB. If CFA is not an answer, then which certification/degree be better- MBA/CPA/MSC (FIN)

well…CFA stands for “Chartered Financial Analyst”… so I think so… :slight_smile: By the way, I am planning to make the same move as well!

Hi there My current job is fairly similar to what you seem to be doing and I have an MBA and am doing CFA L1 this year. In my experience both are good backgrounds to have though the CFA shines during more hardcore analysis, but for smooching investors and writing reports the MBA is more useful.

Hi there My current job is fairly similar to what you seem to be doing and I have an MBA and am doing CFA L1 this year. In my experience both are good backgrounds to have though the CFA shines during more hardcore analysis, but for smooching investors and writing reports the MBA is more useful.

sumz, your job and cfa are good complements. There are some synergies… I’m a quant (financial advising) as well and do L1.

thanks all for your responses so far :slight_smile: so all of you more or less do have some recommendation for CFA… I have done BBA with concentration in finance. Thus, at times i feel MBA will be more of a repitition and will bore the hell out of me :stuck_out_tongue: Thus, i thought of CFA BUT…when i read the syllabus of CFA, i get bit skeptical about its usefulness since it is clearly most to do with the Investment and asset management. Infact, Level 3 is all about wealth and portfolio mgmt and i have no plans getting into that area of finance. That’s why I guess 50% of CFA syllabus will be of not much use to me and knowing all about the toughness of the exams, it is seriously not encouraging to go ahead with it. Personally, I dont mind putting all the hardwork since i do have time and energy to do so (single person with not much personal life) ONLY IF i am totally convinced that what i am doing is exactly the right thing to do… looking forward for more inputs and i’d certainly keep your advises in mind while making a decision :slight_smile:

good luck sumz

Why not ask you boss, or the people at your firm who you would be working for if you were to make the transition?

sumz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > thanks all for your responses so far :slight_smile: > > so all of you more or less do have some > recommendation for CFA… > > I have done BBA with concentration in finance. > Thus, at times i feel MBA will be more of a > repitition and will bore the hell out of me :stuck_out_tongue: > > Thus, i thought of CFA BUT…when i read the > syllabus of CFA, i get bit skeptical about its > usefulness since it is clearly most to do with the > Investment and asset management. Infact, Level 3 > is all about wealth and portfolio mgmt and i have > no plans getting into that area of finance. That’s > why I guess 50% of CFA syllabus will be of not > much use to me and knowing all about the toughness > of the exams, it is seriously not encouraging to > go ahead with it. > > Personally, I dont mind putting all the hardwork > since i do have time and energy to do so (single > person with not much personal life) ONLY IF i am > totally convinced that what i am doing is exactly > the right thing to do… > > looking forward for more inputs and i’d certainly > keep your advises in mind while making a decision > :slight_smile: I don’t think anybody would likely agree that CFA is not useful or helpful. Either way you building your credibility and ability to think. Your fourth paragraph seems to answer your own question. The fifth one sounds pathetic, and oddly too familiar.