CFA to improve MBA application

Hi, Please advice if a GPA of 2.0 can be compensated with CFA level 1 or 1and2 with 700+ Gmat score. Although I have been working for NGOs and teaching in Teach India program. I am targeting top 20 Bschools in USA. I think that CFA levels cleared with full time job can show my dedication and prove my capability to handle academic rigours. However, the work experience is 7 years as customer service associate (5 years), Software trainer (2 years). Please advise how I can improve my application. Thanks & Regards.

tough call, you will have to write a damn good essay as to why your GPA is so low. thank god you are applying to b school and not law school.

The truth is that I devoted my time in undergrad education to Rotract club and community services. But i never received any award for this. IS it justified that someone has devoted his time to community services without getting any rewards except emotional satisfaction. I am afraid if bschools look for recognition in community service.

Which undergrad school you went to?

I’d go with the drinking excuse rather than community service. Seems really holier than thou - especially when you make comments like “IS it justified that someone has devoted his time to community services without getting any rewards except emotional satisfaction.” You made your choice not to study and to further your emotional satisfaction. I made my choice to not study and drink heavily. But at least I’ll admit who is to blame for my rubbish degree…

Yeah, I’m sorry but I think you done messed that one up for yourself and now you’re going to have to live with it. A 2.0 is a pretty strong indicator of poorly formed study habits and attendence as well as weakness in key subject matters. You can’t have your cake and eat it to. The bottom line is, if you weren’t ready to commit to the curriculum, you shouldn’t have wasted your money on the classes, or at least reduced the courseload to a manageable level. It wasn’t like you woke up one day and suddenly half of your GPA wandered off, it took several years of failing to make the required adjustments.

you might have screwed the pooch on this one. The CFA curriculum makes demands that are drastically different than those of a classroom-delivered experience. You can go with the “I was an idiot, but I got better” story line, but it might not be credible. One way to make it more credible would be to take some classes part time and ace them. Then the story holds more water. I had a similar experience - 2.7 gpa as an undergrad, then almost 8 years in the workforce (not very exciting/memorable jobs), and 720 GMATS. I then took some classes (I needed them to move up in my current job) at a local university. I got 6 A’s and a B+ in math/stat classes over about a year and a half going part time. At that point, I started applying to doctoral programs (not top-tier, but in the 20-40 range). I’d guess that the selectivity was about equal to a top-ten MBA program. I was accepted at a good number of my choices. So, the bottom line is that it’s possible, but you have to have a CREDIBLE story. It’s all about signalling - anyone can tell the story, but you have to have hard evidence that shows you can walk the walk. The CFA exams (and the GMAT) show aptitude. Now you have to show that you have the attitude and ability to perform in the classroom. So, it’s doable, but you have to have a credible story.

busprof - In regards to taking extra classes in order to improve on an ugly under-grad GPA, how important is the school at which you take these classes, in your opinion? Others?

The longer you’re out of school, the less marks matter. Plus if you were heavily involved in extracirricular activities and can demonstrate this, it might help. You don’t need to be recognized in order to demostrate that you did something… Remember, the people you are competiting against do community service, student government, clubs and other activities and keep their average around 3.0-3.5. It’s just the realities of the situation.

Man that’s tough - it’s true there are a lot of people who keep up a good GPA, work, and do things outside of school. You’re going to really have to make a case why you should be accepted over these applicants, and I don’t think passing L1 and/or L2 is the answer.

I like busprof’s approach -> take some classes, get decent grades and then apply

I agree, Its time to upgrade my friend…

busprof Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So, the bottom line is that it’s possible, but you > have to have a CREDIBLE story. It’s all about > signalling - anyone can tell the story, but you > have to have hard evidence that shows you can walk > the walk. nothing could be more true!

If you take some additional graduate classes at a reputable university, you should be OK. I think you maybe OK as is though.

I asked Jonathan Knee if I could sit in or take his graduate M&A class at Columbia, but he said only B-School students could take the class . . . so not sure what kind of classes you could take without being accepted? Maybe is different for other schools

On a similar note: Do you think having the CFA would add much weight to an application that is already relatively strong and balanced (good school, GPA, work experience, essays, recs, extracurr., etc)? I have heard mixed opinions on this. A few people claim it will definitely help materially and others have said it makes zero difference. Thoughts?

I don’t know how Columbia works, but many state schools allow all graduate students to take B-school classes.

Other than your school grades, is there any substantial leadership roles that you have that might convince the committee to overlook your grades?

mba schools should take into consideration if overall the class averages were low. for example, in my undergrad uni, the class averages were always a C, C-, or C+ for all the courses (C = 2.0)

Guys come on…will I have to be the one to say you have 0 chance of getting in as 5 years of customer service experience and a 2.0 just don’t cut it? Looks like I just did. It isn’t so much the bad grades or community service its the fact you were in customer service for 5 years. Go for the Nobel Peace Prize…may have a higher chance of happening.