CFA to improve MBA application

I am not hellbent on going to USA. I wish to work as an Investment Analyst in some developed country. Live there for sometime say 5-8 years and come back to india. Mr target countries are US, UK, Australia, Singapore,Canada or New Zealand. It is not that US is my criteria. What i hear from others is that US is a country where even if you are from a mid rung college you still can get jobs there. However, in UK and canada job scenario is not encouraging. Please advise if with my background and good essay and scores it would be realistic to try in other countries. Thanks.

US job market is bad right now and when the US job market is bad, it is tougher to get into schools here. I would look to another country for the next couple of years - maybe transfer with fidelity to AUS or something - - -

strangedays Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If I published my Uni dissertation (I graduated > with Honors) in an academic journal (financial > econometrics) and it was recently cited by the > research center of a major European National bank, > plus I have a couple of years working experience, > do you guys think I have a good chance to get into > a top 5 MBA (and possibly getting a scholarship)? Guys as I am currently living in Europe and I would like to apply for an MBA in USA, can anyone tells me if I have good chances of getting into an MBA with the above mentioned backgroud? Thanks

Are you being a smart arss?

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are you being a smart arss? Nope man. I am just asking as I dont know what do you need to get in a top MBA in USA. I heard that you must have reference from some top guys. it is true?

References are always a big help

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > References are always a big help Thanks Blackswan!

References are always a big help (from the right people)

projectplatnyc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > References are always a big help (from the right > people) For example? employer or academic??!

strangedays Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > projectplatnyc Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > References are always a big help (from the > right > > people) > > > For example? employer or academic??! You can find answer to that question on FAQ at GSB of University of Chicago. They prefer two references from employers rather than one from employer and one from a professor.

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > strangedays Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > projectplatnyc Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > References are always a big help (from the > > right > > > people) > > > > > > For example? employer or academic??! > > You can find answer to that question on FAQ at GSB > of University of Chicago. They prefer two > references from employers rather than one from > employer and one from a professor. I’ve also heard that it can be helpful if you can get references at various levels too, for example: Your boss Your bosses’ boss A Peer who does similar work etc Obviously the higher up you can go in the organization would be impressive

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > strangedays Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > projectplatnyc Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > References are always a big help (from the > > right > > > people) > > > > > > For example? employer or academic??! > > You can find answer to that question on FAQ at GSB > of University of Chicago. They prefer two > references from employers rather than one from > employer and one from a professor. Thanks maratikus! do you think the fact I published my dissertation (in financial econometrics) in an international academic journal will help me a lot or they are mainly considering work experience? Thanks for your help

strangedays Wrote: > Thanks maratikus! do you think the fact I > published my dissertation (in financial > econometrics) in an international academic journal > will help me a lot or they are mainly considering > work experience? Thanks for your help I think it’s definitely a huge plus but you have to reflect that in your essays adequately because skill sets of a PhD (researcher) and an MBA (leader and manager) are different. You have to clearly show your objectives and how getting an MBA will help you achieve those goals.

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > strangedays Wrote: > > Thanks maratikus! do you think the fact I > > published my dissertation (in financial > > econometrics) in an international academic > journal > > will help me a lot or they are mainly > considering > > work experience? Thanks for your help > > I think it’s definitely a huge plus but you have > to reflect that in your essays adequately because > skill sets of a PhD (researcher) and an MBA > (leader and manager) are different. You have to > clearly show your objectives and how getting an > MBA will help you achieve those goals. Thanks a lot buddy!

This one guy I used to work with used recommendations from his professors directly out of school and got into HBS - another co-worker used work-recommendations as he had been out of school for 3 years and also got into HBS. I think it depends on your situation. If you wrote a good financial dissertation, maybe the mentor that you had who helped you when you needed feedback, or whoever you were writing it for could provide a good recommendation. But, as written above, some schools might prefer some things more than others, so best to check on their website.

The right people - meaning if a distinguished professor, or MD wrote it, it would carry more weight than if your fellow analyst said - “hey - this guy is awesome”.

projectplatnyc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The right people - meaning if a distinguished > professor, or MD wrote it, it would carry more > weight than if your fellow analyst said - “hey - > this guy is awesome”. Thanks a lot for your insight!