CFA vs GMAT, which is harder

i went from 610 to 700 to 740 in the span of about 4 months, on and off studying. A test is just a test. If you start a google or aapl, then you are a genius.

here’s my question: i hear that if you take gmat or gre multiple times, all scores will be reported to any institution. also that schools average all your scores. fact or myth?

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > here’s my question: i hear that if you take gmat > or gre multiple times, all scores will be reported > to any institution. also that schools average all > your scores. fact or myth? First part is true. I forget with GRE, but GMAT scores last for 5 years on your record. You can cancel your exam right before you see your scores if you don’t feel good about it. Second part is by school, sometimes they want to make sure that you are -capable- of getting a higher score (i.e. max on quant section). It really depends on how spaced out the exams are and how big of a difference.

all scores will be reported, what school do with the scores is up to them and I believe it will differ depending on the school I can’t say for CFA, but GMAT was very reasy, 1 month of studying would be enough for review if it weren’t for grammar. (grammar = IQ lol)

GMAT GRE may have some good tricky questions but i still think they shoudl alllow a calculator. my biggest trouble with gre is time. i just did a gre problem where teh anser was something like 1653 divided by 41. sure i can figure out the result but it will take me a minute to calculate this. why cant they let me use a calculator?

^really? I think you probably did the problem wrong, I don’t recall GMAT asking you to divide anything that won’t divide evenly, or they will put it fraction terms.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > GMAT GRE may have some good tricky questions but i > still think they shoudl alllow a calculator. my > biggest trouble with gre is time. i just did a gre > problem where teh anser was something like 1653 > divided by 41. sure i can figure out the result > but it will take me a minute to calculate this. > why cant they let me use a calculator? come on needhelp, you are an actuary for christ sakes, this should be a piece of cake for you, you can at least approximate what it will be 40x40=1600

cfagoal2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^really? I think you probably did the problem > wrong, I don’t recall GMAT asking you to divide > anything that won’t divide evenly, or they will > put it fraction terms. I had a few questions like that.

So maybe i am not very good at doing the divisions and multiplications. Thats my obstacle to MFE school. So how does the conversation go at the admission board: Well this guy has a PhD in physics but his GRE quant is low. Hmmm. rejected.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So maybe i am not very good at doing the divisions > and multiplications. Thats my obstacle to MFE > school. > > So how does the conversation go at the admission > board: > > Well this guy has a PhD in physics but his GRE > quant is low. Hmmm. rejected. this is an odd predicament to be in.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > here’s my question: i hear that if you take gmat > or gre multiple times, all scores will be reported > to any institution. also that schools average all > your scores. fact or myth? Harvard and Stanford are the only two schools that average scores. Everyone else takes your best score only.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So maybe i am not very good at doing the divisions > and multiplications. Thats my obstacle to MFE > school. > > So how does the conversation go at the admission > board: > > Well this guy has a PhD in physics but his GRE > quant is low. Hmmm. rejected. You have to play by the rules. You might have a PhD in physics, but if you show up at a job interview and they ask you a probabilities question and you don’t solve it, they’ll think you’re just a bookworm with no brains. That’s the way the system is, Ph.D or not you have to go out and prove yourself everyday sometimes to people much less accomplished educationally than you. My advice to you, get your hand on 2000-3000 GRE quant questions, solve them in a couple of days non-stop, consider even taking a day or two off from work. It’s about getting your brain in shape for this type of exercise.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: > Harvard and Stanford are the only two schools that > average scores. Everyone else takes your best > score only. No they don’t.

sid3699 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > iheartiheartmath Wrote: > > Harvard and Stanford are the only two schools > that > > average scores. Everyone else takes your best > > score only. > > > No they don’t. I meant Harvard and Stanford don’t average your scores. http://www.hbs.edu/mba/faq/#gmat

sid3699 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > iheartiheartmath Wrote: > > Harvard and Stanford are the only two schools > that > > average scores. Everyone else takes your best > > score only. > > > No they don’t. Agree. I visited Stanford and they told me it was best score only.

Unless it was an admissions officer that told you that, it was false information. Harvard and Stanford most definitely do average scores.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Unless it was an admissions officer that told you > that, it was false information. Harvard and > Stanford most definitely do average scores. Either you have evidence to back your statement and therefore prove that the universities are lying when they say (on their websites) that they use only the highest GMAT/GRE score or you just say things, without thinking, for whatever reasons sound good to you. Which is it?

The only thing you proved with your link is that you know how to spell “hbs”.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The only thing you proved with your link is that > you know how to spell “hbs”. Wow! What an intelliegent answer. You must be a national debate champion, if not an international one.