CFA vs GMAT, which is harder

passed L3 in august, don’t have an undergrad bus degree, need some business education so will try to get into MBA program

for workhorses-GMAT for pure geniuses-CFA

Actually you got that backwards.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Actually you got that backwards. agree

they are hard to compare, it is like comparing numis and iheartiheartmaths

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Actually you got that backwards. you think someone who passed L3 who is of mild intelligence(think IQ 120) can study his ass off and top +700. I dont think so.

I_Passed_Level_1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > iheartiheartmath Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Actually you got that backwards. > > > you think someone who passed L3 who is of mild > intelligence(think IQ 120) can study his ass off > and top +700. I dont think so. i misunderstood your reasoning (and i think iheartiheartmath did too), but now that i know what you mean, i agree with you. the title of the post introduces a negation.

^ thread title, rather.

basically, to clarify what I_Pass_Level_1 for workhorses, GMAT is “harder” for pure geniuses, CFA is “harder”

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > basically, to clarify what I_Pass_Level_1 > > for workhorses, GMAT is “harder” > > for pure geniuses, CFA is “harder” you are the man sublimity.

^If that is what I_Passed_Gas meant, then I admit it, I made a mistake.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^If that is what I_Passed_Gas meant, then I admit > it, I made a mistake. I might have to change my moniker once I get banned to that, thanks for the idea braah.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > basically, to clarify what I_Pass_Level_1 > > for workhorses, GMAT is “harder” > > for pure geniuses, CFA is “harder” Are you forgetting we have workdonkeys too?

^ (o:`,

Can’t compare. Success on CFA will be determined almost entirely by study. Success on GMAT will be determined by acquired knowledge and natural intellect, and only marginally by preparation. GMAT samples bits of knowledge accumulated over many years. 4th to 11th grade math, grammar idioms that don’t make sense unless you encounter them in casual reading. You can study some quick and dirty rules for the GMAT, but you can’t teach your self the breadth of material. I worked my a$$ off to pass LII & LIII. Had I not worked so hard, I would have failed miserably (much like JOE2010 on LII this year). Brains meant very little on this one. On the GMAT, my hard work helped only somewhat. To begin my preparation, I took a sample test from Kaplan. Scored a 670 with no work. Worked my a$$ of for 2 months and scored a 690. Worked another 2 months and got a 710. 150 hrs of work to improve 40 points on a test with a 600 point range.

buyicide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Can’t compare. Success on CFA will be determined > almost entirely by study. Success on GMAT will be > determined by acquired knowledge and natural > intellect, and only marginally by preparation. > GMAT samples bits of knowledge accumulated over > many years. 4th to 11th grade math, grammar > idioms that don’t make sense unless you encounter > them in casual reading. You can study some quick > and dirty rules for the GMAT, but you can’t teach > your self the breadth of material. > > I worked my a$$ off to pass LII & LIII. Had I not > worked so hard, I would have failed miserably > (much like JOE2010 on LII this year). Brains > meant very little on this one. > > On the GMAT, my hard work helped only somewhat. > To begin my preparation, I took a sample test from > Kaplan. Scored a 670 with no work. Worked my a$$ > of for 2 months and scored a 690. Worked another > 2 months and got a 710. 150 hrs of work to > improve 40 points on a test with a 600 point > range. Who failed miserably? Is that a stupid attempt at sarcasm?

I have a few friends who aren’t vastly intelligent that have received 700+ on the GMAT test with 2-4 months of preparation. In some cases, they took classes and/or had a tutor as part of their prep. I think I read that the median HBS score is 706 so in the grand scheme of things, that’s a pretty good score. A recurring theme I hear is that the GMAT is a “studyable” test if one practices enough; the same approach and concepts have to be reused on the exams each year to be fair to test takers. It sounds like where people get caught up in the difficulty of the exam is being unrealistic with regard to budgeting sufficient time to re-learn high school math concepts (and improve comprehension and writing skills). I could see the English portion being difficult for ESL folks, however. It sounds like that the GMAT is for geniuses if one expects to study for a couple of weeks to a month and plans to get in the 720+ range. Otherwise, I would think good scores–say 700 and higher–are attainable if one expects to put in ‘CFA Level I’-type effort. You can read about some people on the internet who have gone from 590 scores to 730 or higher over the course of 5 to 6 months. As a corollary, we mustn’t forget that business schools won’t find out how long you’ve prepared for. So in summary, while I agree that a high GMAT score might be more indicative of someone who has a higher IQ–especially if minimal prep was required–both the CFA and GMAT are “studyable” tests. Who agrees?

^agree… Have been studying hardcore L1 style for about six weeks now one month now and am crushing the OG guide. Missed 3 questions out of eighty I did last night (quant only), Shooting to take around Christmas. Definitely a “studyable” test.

You can’t fail the GMAT so it is not hard. Now if the question is what is harder: a 750+ on the GMAT or becoming a CFA while working/studying full time, I would have to say that the latter is. A 700+ is pretty common, and not too dificult, kind of like passing Level I if you have nothing else going on in your life. However, getting over a 750 is much harder, but still easier than passing all three levels. My guess is that GMAT 770=CFA in 18months

Read the posts on GMATclub…you definitely can master the GMAT (on a non-MENSA level candidate) if you study the test format and concepts. Not easy, requires time, but can be done. Most non MENSA people get fed-up with trying to beat the test and attaining their target score. But if you are determined (and have the time before apps due) you can go from like a high 500s to 700+…