CFA - what next ?

I got my CFA charter back in June 2009. I don’t have a degree and am looking for suggestions as to what to do next in terms of further study. An obvious answer is to go and get a degree. If so, can i somehow use my CFA to get partial credits towards that degree ? Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Stupid question but don t you need a degree to enroll for level II ?

don’t feed the trolls

You do not need a degree to do the CFA examinations. Also, you do not need a degree to get your charter providing you have relevant work experience.

conners Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You do not need a degree to do the CFA > examinations. > > Also, you do not need a degree to get your charter > providing you have relevant work experience. WRONG, try again. http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/register/index.html Before you enroll in the CFA Program and register for your first exam: 1. Meet the entrance requirements: * Have a U.S. bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree o or be in the final year of your bachelor’s degree program at the time of registration o or have four years of qualified, professional work experience o or have a combination of work and college experience that totals at least four years (Note: Summer, part-time, and internship positions do not qualify.) * Understand the professional conduct requirements (you will be asked to sign statements of Professional Conduct and Candidate Responsibility) * Be prepared to take the exams in English

Guys, can we stick to the point please. I have my charter. That is not the subject of my thread. If you can help, then I appreciate your thoughts otherwise no need to reply.

Please explain how you have your charter if you don’t have a degree then maybe people can help you. As of right now you haven’t given us anything to help you with.

@Mcledod: wouldn’t this exempt you from having to have your degree “or have four years of qualified, professional work experience” since it’s an “or” statement?

If the guy has charter…he has 4 yrs of qualified professional work ex…perfectly fine o or have four years of qualified, professional work experience o or have a combination of work and college experience that totals at least four years @Conners the actuaries exam gives you credit for passing L1 and L2

why don’t you find a subject you like and study that in more detail? or, get a degree in something you like to study. you act as if what you study really matters to other people. knowledge is for yourself.

I do not think the CFA will give you partial credits, but it really depends on your school. I think you are leaning this way, but maybe school part-time to obtain a degree? What do you currently do?

conners Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t have a degree and am looking for > suggestions as to what to do next in terms of > further study. If you want to study more business/finance, I think it will be hard for you to apply to programs without a bachelors (I don’t think you should try to get your bachelors at this point anyway). I think the best thing to do is to look at schools that offer degrees for independent research. Your competence is obviously past the bachelor level and if you did some sort of program that gave you a masters or PhD, that might be optimal. You would probably plan out 1 - 2 years of research and have a professor oversee your progress and then go in front of a board put up by the school to present your thesis.

R24X7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If the guy has charter…he has 4 yrs of > qualified professional work ex…perfectly > fine > > o or have four years of qualified, professional > work experience > o or have a combination of work and college > experience that totals at least four years > > @Conners the actuaries exam gives you credit for > passing L1 and L2 R24X7. Thanks for you response and suggestion of actuaries exams. You are right re relevant work experience also. Many thanks

philip.platt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > conners Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > I don’t have a degree and am looking for > > suggestions as to what to do next in terms of > > further study. > > > If you want to study more business/finance, I > think it will be hard for you to apply to programs > without a bachelors (I don’t think you should try > to get your bachelors at this point anyway). > > I think the best thing to do is to look at schools > that offer degrees for independent research. Your > competence is obviously past the bachelor level > and if you did some sort of program that gave you > a masters or PhD, that might be optimal. You would > probably plan out 1 - 2 years of research and have > a professor oversee your progress and then go in > front of a board put up by the school to present > your thesis. Philip, thanks for your advice also

adavydov7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @Mcledod: wouldn’t this exempt you from having to > have your degree “or have four years of qualified, > professional work experience” since it’s an “or” > statement? I guess I didn’t think about that fully… One would need to have the qualified work experience cleared up before taking L1 in order to register for the program. It’s probably not very common for someone to have gotten the qualified work experience w/out a bachelors degree though.

CAIA is worth considering…

Hold on - STOP the DEGREES & Stop the certifications - the paradigm has changed permanently - unless the degree is extremely cost efficient it is not worth it - how has obtaining the CFA changed things - come on - I read the same tired old thoughts about degrees/certifications - it doesnt work anymore

Get the degree if you need/want a degree. You are obviously bright enough to do it if you have already passed the CFA. Alternatively, if you are at a stage where a degree won’t change much i’d consider something else. If you have the time, money and inclination, something like the CMT might be appealing. Learn and then build your own trading system afterwards. Sounds alright to me.