CFAI and Elan

Elan material is pretty good.used it for quant. yesterday had a casual glance at the FRA -Reading 29 in Elan and CFAI .straightforward stuff. The notes are concise and CFA is elaborate/ verbose whatever. No way can a prep provider cover everything. so should reading Elan and EOC Q and summary from CFAI suffice?there will always be stuff on the exam that you didn’t read/can’t recall. guess i should focus on covering EVERYTHING in Elan and hope i don’t get too many Q on stuff Elan didn’t cover. Also studying with a 6 month old daughter can be quite a challenge :-)hats off 2 those who cleared all 3 levels with family and kid/s. i promised myself whichever way my exams go, i surely will not blame the prep provider or other external factors.

I used Elan’s Ultimate Pack for the June exam. I would make notes on their handouts while I watched a video and then read their study notes. Then I would read the summaries from the CFA texts and do the EOC questions followed by practice questions from the QBank. I was very well-prepared. Their notes and videos cover pretty much everything. I did not see any surprises on the QBank and maybe just one on one of the practice tests so I guess their materials cover 99.99% if not all the materials that the CFA texts cover. One thing that I did not do, but would definitely recommend for future Elan users is to read the study notes with the Eleventh Hour at hand, and to make notes in the Eleventh Hour itself. Most of the stuff is very well summarized in there, and there’s more than enough space to make any figures/notes that you feel you should jot down. In sum, their stuff is awesome. Just do what they advise you to do and you should be fine. Good luck

Thanks. about the Q bank, how does one choose questions to consolidate understanding of a reading? take a Reading test or create a test from the test management section?

oops test management is only after completion of an SS.so how does one test understanding of a reading?

confused2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > oops test management is only after completion of > an SS.so how does one test understanding of a > reading? With Q-Bank you can take individual LOS quizzes, or assemble tests using whatever combination of readings you want with up to 120 questions. You can also choose any combination of easy, intermediate, and advanced questions. I rarely did that so I can’t say how accurate their classication of advanced and basic is, but I assume it’s decent. I thought Q-Bank was great, because without Q-Bank where are you doing practice questions? Some of the EOC’s are 2-3 questions… I’m about to make a thread because I’ve seen this next question 600 times in the last 6 months. Any of the guides (Elan Schweser etc.) are enough to pass. There might be 1-2 questions on the test where you are like “???” but it’s not a big deal. Just make sure you do the EOC’s and read the CFAI cirriculum ethics.

I am thinking to buy Elan Guides for Study Notes. Just considering my budget :frowning:

Not sure if anyone’s mentioned it, but Elan sent me an email saying they’re going to raise prices by Monday next week (21st June). If you’re ready to spend, get in before the change. I don’t have an interest in scaring you to wit’s end. Just keep to the facts.

@ Soetzn Elan guides is surely a good investment. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. I know a friend who studied from them after dumping his schweser notes. He had an awesome experience with them. Elan guides notes are to the point and they precisely covers all the CFAI topics. They only have one drawback which is that there are not much questions available to practice.

@alman888 , Yes I dl some freebies from Elan. After I go through I might buy Elan’s notes. I registered at Elan site just a while ago. I couldn’t find the study note for Eco section. Nway, thz for the info !

they mail you the free econ notes

Oh isnt can u tell me their mail id…

They’re planning to release 2000 practice questions in August. SpyAli Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @ Soetzn > Elan guides is surely a good investment. I’m sure > you won’t be disappointed. I know a friend who > studied from them after dumping his schweser > notes. He had an awesome experience with them. > Elan guides notes are to the point and they > precisely covers all the CFAI topics. They only > have one drawback which is that there are not much > questions available to practice.

I got the ECO - Vol2 for registered at Elan site. Will try to read through to decide to buy study notes. @Princealley ~ yes I got that ads also. But I think I need to sign up Ultimate Prep Package to able to access the Forum and those 2,000 practice q&a.

sugi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Oh isnt can u tell me their mail id… info@elanguides.com

I purchased the 11th hour guide and mocks from Elan and I have to say the material was on point. The customer service is GREAT too. My experience with them: I was frustrated about all the studying and the exam coming up and took it out on Elan by complaining about the mock exam errata’s they kept sending out. I hardly ever complain about items I purchase, even when I’m dissatisfied with the product, so you can imagine how this exam really got to me. I prob overreacted but with the CFAI mocks & errata and Elan mocks, with 3-4 different sets of errata’s all in separate PDF’s, I had about 10 PDF files open, not to mention the books, notes, etc. MY EMAIL TO THEM to Élan Guides date Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 8:00 PM subject Re: Mock Exam Errata Update I do like the Elan 11th hour guide and the exams were challenging, which is a good thing. I’m also fine with the fact the exams contained errors. We all make errors and no one is perfect and I’m not judging Elan, their team , and products based on that. However, I’m disappointed the errata in this email did not contain ALL the corrections that were identified in the past 2 weeks. I believe this is the 3rd or 4th email containing separate and different errata’s. I understand that errors were identified later on and it required you to send us the errata’s in piecemeal. However, I think it would have added more value and would have been easier for Elan customers and candidate’s, if would’ve have sent a final errata, with ALL the corrections in 1 PDF, attached within this email. If this can be done, please do so! Thank you. Best Regards, XXXX THERE TIMELY RESPONSE & REAL SOLUTION from Élan Guides date Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 7:34 AM subject Re: Mock Exam Errata Update XXXX, We have taken your feedback onboard, and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. A consolidated mock exam errata file is attached with this email. Best of luck on the exam. Good luck! Regards, Elan Guides

If I were to issue an attestation report, Elan would get an unqualified (clean) opinion for the 11th Guide and Mocks…Disclaimer on the rest, since I haven’t experienced it…lol