CFAI End of Chapter Questions?

Would you recommend to actually write down the answers or just go through them and save time to do sample exams later on in May?

It took me 2+ weeks to go through all of the questions while writing them out. I guess it just depends how you want to budget your last 6 weeks of studying. You can probably “answer” the questions and get the idea without writing a long drawn-out response. I think writing the answers out did help my retention though.

When you say 2+ weeks, is that studying while being on a full time job or full time studying?

i think if you wanna be honest…write them down…i started off just thinking them…and while looking at the answers…even if I hadn’t DIRECTly thought of something…heard a voice in my head say…yeah I would’ve thought/written that anyway…so if you actually write it down…i think it makes a diff…plus you get an idea on time and handwriting…(which mine suck)… ps: took me 2+ weeks as well…about 2-3 hours a day…and 8 hours/day on weekend…

hmmm… sounds like it will take a bit of time to go through them writing them down… Difficulty is with 10hrs workdays and still trying to get through the Video CDs and actually learning the material might be hard to dedicate 2+ weeks to doing the CFAI end of chapters questions… Would you guys say these questions are more or less difficult than sample exam questions or actuall exam questions…I have done Book 1 and currently working on Book2 (book 1 was all m/c so pretty low on time consumption part) but Book2 seem to be more written answers… My strategy currently is to do the Schewser CDs corresponding to each Book then do the CFAI end of chapter questions for each book until I am done with them and then do sample exams end of May…just don’t want to sacrifice sample exam time for end of chapter books…any thoughts?

The risk of not writing them out is not being able to express yourself clearly and quickly on the actual exam using the written word. I also echo what mumu said.

Magix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > When you say 2+ weeks, is that studying while > being on a full time job or full time studying? That’s squeezing in studying from 9pm - 12am, and about 6 hrs / day on the weekend. Also, about 30 min / day @ lunch.

They are MUCH more in depth than any practice ?'s, or the past CFAI essays. Where the essays ask for 3 bullet points, the EOC ?'s might ask for a couple paragraphs describing something. The process of going through these scared the Sh!t out of me, because I thought that the essays would be the same. When I saw that they weren’t, it was a relief and actually made the CFAI essays feel more doable.

N.Van, If you have a to make a decision. I would do exams first and EOC question if you can, with the exception of the big topics (IPS, Ethics, GIPS). I think you should do these (especially IPS).

These EOC Questions tend to have quite long answers…are we expected to answer in the manner CFAI books have or point form is ok too?!!

http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/resources/essaytips.html Tips for Taking the Level III Essay Exams The Level III essay exam is given in the morning session and has a maximum score of 180 points. The essay exam typically has 12–15 questions, and questions may have multiple parts. The points for each question and each question part are given in the exam. The following are some general tips for Level III candidates on the essay exam: * The published guideline answers on past essay exams are more complete and better written than actual exam answers that receive full credit. * Answers are graded only on content. They are not graded for language and style. * Use short phrases and bullet points to save time, but be sure your meaning is clear. * Handwriting is rarely so poor that the answer cannot be graded. * Points are awarded for direct answers to a question. * No points are awarded for general knowledge that is not responsive to the question. * Do not spend too much time writing an answer. This is particularly tempting when you know the topic well. Formulate a direct response to the command words, and use the amount of time allotted. * No one has ever received a perfect score on any level of the CFA exam. Even though it is not by design, you should expect to encounter questions that you will not be able to answer correctly. There is a great deal of material to master, and exam questions are challenging. Standard setters (at Levels I and II) and the Board of Governors (at all three levels) take account of exam difficulty in setting Minimum Passing Scores. Find out more about how the MPS is established (PDF). The following are common reasons that graders give for poor candidate performance on the essay portion of the Level III: * Not responsive to command word list (list, define, etc.) * Answered a question they wish they had been asked instead of the question that was asked. * No work shown on a calculation question and the answer is incorrect. * Hedged on questions that asked for a recommendation and justification (recommended A, but justified B). * Neglected to answer part of the question (especially if a several part question). Note that you can still answer part E, even if you do not know the answer to part D. * Content area experts spent too much time on their area of expertise, leaving too little time for weak areas.

N.Van, the first point the CFAI lists above. * The published guideline answers on past essay exams are more complete and better written than actual exam answers that receive full credit.

Thanks mwvt9 Even if I master the material my biggest fear is my handwriting “Handwriting is rarely so poor that the answer cannot be graded.” I will be one of those rare cases

I fall into this category too. Especially when rushed.

Maybe they will be so sympathetic of our awful handwriting they will just give us the marks…they will feel sorry for our childish handwriting…okay then again probably NOT They will add a line under my results: FAIL “Forget CFA Charter and go take a handwriting class”