CFAI Materials (vs Schweser)

Do the CFAI official reading materials include sample questions at the end of each LOS or SS, as for example the Schweser study notes do? If so, do the questions compare in quality and quantity ot the Schweser ones?

Yes, CFAI text has questions at the end of each reading. The quantity is comparable to Schweser, i.e. approx 10-20 questions for every reading, but I would say Schweser questions are more challenging.

Great, thanks Manavsachdeva.

yeah, they do, although I find the economics study questions lacking (too few)

manavsachdeva Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes, CFAI text has questions at the end of each > reading. The quantity is comparable to Schweser, > i.e. approx 10-20 questions for every reading, but > I would say Schweser questions are more > challenging. ----this is not entirely correct…if I my memory serves me correctly, other than the reading in foreign exchange, I don’t think any other readings in econ had practice questions (basically, session 4 and 5 had none, and 6 only has questions for 1 or 2 readings)…most of the readings had <10 questions…and not every reading in the other topics had questions all in all, if you only rely on CFAI texts’ questions, that wouldn’t be a very good idea…

Hi, fellas! What would you suggest: to use for preparation CFAI 2008 curriculum or Schweser 2007? thanks!

liaaba Wrote: > all in all, if you only rely on CFAI texts’ > questions, that wouldn’t be a very good idea… I agree, although not all the questions are MC. Take the FSA sections in book 3, sections which have been written by White, Sondhi, and Fried. Those questions are straight out of their financial statement analysis textbook (I have a copy of that book published from 1997, by the way). Those questions can be both time-consuming and difficult.

thats right. it was disappointing to see that CFAI took stuff word-to-word from these text books. The fact that they took the first two FSA study sessions from one book and the last two from another breaks the flow completely. I am currently on the third FSA study session. Had no problems understanding the first two (i’m non-finance, non-accounting background). But as soon as I hit Inventory Analysis (taken from White, Sondhi, and Fried) everything seemed to be going over my head. Don’t quite like the way they (White, Sondhi, and Fried) explained the LIFO, FIFO stuff. After reading it 5 times I realised how simple these concepts are, and White, Sondhi, and Fried did a **** all job to explain it. CFAI should stick to just one book to maintain the flow.