CFAI Membership Type

Hi, I am a Level III candidate. With my 9 years experience as a quant analyst and equity trader, CFAI approved my membership application. The membership type is “Affiliate Member”. I wonder if I will be upgraded automatically to “Regular Member” if I pass my Level III. My another question is what the advantage is to become a CFAI member before passing my Level III. Your views would be much appreciated.

I just checked on CFAI website again and discovered that in the work experience section, it says 91 months submitted, 0 accepted. That may explain why I was accepted as an affiliate member but not a regular member. The confusing thing was at the top it says something like “Congratulations! Your memberhship has been approved.” I am making enquiry with CFAI to see why there are issues with my work experience submission.

YGood you are after it. You have to be clear on how you contribute to the investment decision making process. That is how they determine experience. Your sponsors may not have elaborated enough? There are many benefits to CFAI member - the only difference to affiliate is not being able to vote on issues. The JobLine is helpful, local society events for networking is good, and all the publications and research on the website is valuable. and passing Level III isn’t enough - the work experience is the clincher. Good luck!

Hi, Where can you check whether your work experience has been accepted? I have been a regular member for some time now but just wanted to double check that since I’m awaiting the letter saying that I can use the designation. I clicked around to try to find it but couldn’t. Thanks.

here is the link https://www.cfainstitute.org/loginsso/ssomanagementapplication/view/credentialcollector.aspx?TYPE=33554433&REALMOID=06-c7bc326a-b26c-45af-b7f0-563dd41ddd72&GUID=&SMAUTHREASON=0&METHOD=GET&SMAGENTNAME=cfainstitute&TARGET=$SM$https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cfainstitute.org%2Fprograms%2Fprivate%2Fcanservices%2Fmemberrequest%2Fview%2Fstatus.aspx

https://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/private/canservices/memberrequest/view/status.aspx

chartreuxmom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi, > > Where can you check whether your work experience > has been accepted? I have been a regular member > for some time now but just wanted to double check > that since I’m awaiting the letter saying that I > can use the designation. I clicked around to try > to find it but couldn’t. Thanks. If you are confirmed as a regular member then that means they have already accepted your work experience. Thye would have pitched you into the affiliate category otherwise. Just sit back and wait for the letter!

I phoned CFAI yesterday and discovered the reason why they gave me the affiliate status. Initially, I only put down my current work experience as an equity trader. At the time of submission, it was 46 months. A few weeks after the submission, I thought I would also submit my work experience from my previous role as a quant analyst. On the phone, the lady said that my first work experience submission was accepted. However, the additional submission would require a new review. The turn round time for the review is 6 weeks. The bad news is I have to wait for another two weeks for the next review. The good news is the CFAI lady told me I had already been accepted as a “Regular Member” based on the first WE submission but they have to give me the affiliate status prior to the next review. One thing I learnt from this was to check with CFAI directly. It was my first time to call them and I found them very professional, polite and helpful.